Intercom

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
shaunstaples

Intercom

Post by shaunstaples »

A friend asked me about intercoms and how they work, with regard to listening to Maps on the phone via bluetooth and talking to his son at the same time on another bike. It looks like some of the really expensive ones do, but reading the specifications of them its difficult to know? It looks like you have to toggle between intercom and phone by pressing buttons?
Ive searched and got a few topics but they are from a while back, technology is moving on so wondered if anyone knows of one that both phone and intercom works at the same time?
Thanks Shaun
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: Intercom

Post by Eamonn »

I have two helmet intercoms (cheap Fodsports devices) and a Garmin XT sat-nav. Whilst talking to the pillion, the sat-nav instructions also come through to both helmets.

I haven't been able to replicate this using Google maps on the phone. If I use the phone, the helmet comms switch between either intercom or Google maps, but not both simultaneously. Of course this could be a limitation of the cheap intercoms - more expensive options (such as Sena etc.) may work differently.
Corners like a Lego man
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

On trip to and tour of Spain and back before Brexit my two sons and I used a three-way Scala Rider G9X comms system which worked really well except for a lot of crackling one day in torrential thunderstorms.
It's at my son's at present but he says it will connect with anything that can Bluetooth to other devices.
A quick Google brought up the video linked below about Bluetoothing with it. We didn't as we decided that in order to avoid confusion/discussion only one of us at a time would be using a GPS whilst riding.

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep digging for him.
Been reading about the Scala Duo 2 and it's saying Parallel connection to phone/nav/intercom and says the nav is muted when using intercom. I cant work out if it needs a finger press or its automatic though. His Son has recently passed his bike test so needs to be easier for him.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I’ve found these and wondered if anyone else has used something like this before. 2 audio inputs into one audio output which could go to the earphones and one input from the intercom, the other from the phone.
The wires have volume controls on them, but maybe the volume could be adjusted by the phone and intercom?
Don’t think the other rider would hear the phone output, but may be possible for him to have his own too?
They are £22 on Amazon so not too bad to try
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.