"Downgrading"

Information related to the Harris Matchless (also known as Devon Matchless)
Ib-Denmark

Re: "Downgrading"

Post by Ib-Denmark »

Believe that there are only two Harris in Denmark, and now I have tracked down the second one. Only 2km from my home!
It is with el-start.
Will there be something I should be awere of when I inspect It?
Ib
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Look for broken or loose rear spokes. Heavy duty spokes cures that problem.Worn sprag on the starter (you'll hear it). Always use the valve lifter to stop the engine or the sprag wears out. I had 3 MT350's and the sprag was worn on all of them (no valve lifter) They still work OK but a bit noisey. I believe that fitting the army MT500 camshaft makes them run and start a lot nicer.
Dave
Ib-Denmark

Post by Ib-Denmark »

dave16mct wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:15 pm Look for broken or loose rear spokes. Heavy duty spokes cures that problem.Worn sprag on the starter (you'll hear it). Always use the valve lifter to stop the engine or the sprag wears out. I had 3 MT350's and the sprag was worn on all of them (no valve lifter) They still work OK but a bit noisey. I believe that fitting the army MT500 camshaft makes them run and start a lot nicer.
Dave
Thank you for the tips. How do I see if the camshaft is army-type or not?
What is "sprag"? even Google translate dont know.
Regards Ib
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Sprag clutch it allows the starter to turn the engine but not the other way round like a free wheel on a bike.
Ralph

Ib-Denmark

Post by Ib-Denmark »

Ralph wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:24 am Sprag clutch it allows the starter to turn the engine but not the other way round like a free wheel on a bike.
Thanks. Now I know what it is.
Ib
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The later sprag clutches were more robust and CZ fitted engines intended for sidecar use with a heavier
alternator / magneto flywheel this was said to smooth out the lower rev range.
Ralph

dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

You can only tell which camshaft it has by removing the cover. The Harris has an 800 and the MT350 has a 660 camshaft. It's stamped on the end. Lots of information on the MT Riders Club website. Gary at Sportax Racing is very helpful.
Dave
Ib-Denmark

Post by Ib-Denmark »

Saw my (maybe) future bike yesterday. It hat Alu.- rims . Can that be original? - Maybe for some models?. It is with twin brakes and El-start.
Ib
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

They had steel rims originally so a that's a good upgrade. Hopefully they used heavy stainless steel spokes in the rear wheel too.
Dave
Ib-Denmark

Post by Ib-Denmark »

Still dreaming of a Harris:
Can the seat be lowered?. Because i have rather short legs. I am able to do some "blacksmidt works" if nessecary.
Regards Ib