Throttle cable supplier

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: Throttle cable supplier

Post by SPRIDDLER »

jackstringer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:38 pm I made my own buying the parts from venhill.
I've never trusted myself sufficiently to make my own, although looking at some of the cheapy ones at autojumbles maybe I should.
My MOT tester got a load of flack from a guy with a newly restored bike when pulling hard testing the front brake the nipple came adrift.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Expat

Post by Expat »

The throttle cable and other parts arrived safely but I only recently got around to looking closely at the cable. The twist grip end nipple looked to be a larger diameter than the existing one from memory and sure enough a trial fit confirmed that it was. Returning it to AMC from here hardly seems worthwhile so decided to try carefully filing it down to something like the size that would fit. Managed a decent job of it so at least there’s a spare cable handy now.
Can anyone suggest what type of twist grip is on the bike as it seems that the commonly available cable doesn’t fit on?

Thanks in advance
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I don't think I've EVER bought a control cable that fitted perfectly "out of the box". The inner was either too long or too short. Wrong nipples fitted or, as in your case, the nipple was the wrong size. I do (and have done for a long time) the same as jackstringer and buy the parts from Venhill and make up my own. I've also made my own "Birdcaging" tool to spread the end of the inner cable prior to soldering it.
picture076.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I used to make up cables but not now as no "proper" bench, vice or workshop.

Pharisee is quite right, there's usually some adjustment required anyway - except for the JJ cables I've had so far.

Being a bodger, I used a simplistic form of birdcaging which would outrage everyone; it worked though as I never had a failure in that regard.

Johnny B
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Is that a throttle cable, carb end? I've often wondered how the nipple is recesssed as it's so small. What does your birdcaging tool look like? I have to admit I used to make cables OK but I seem to have lost the knack. Perhaps I'm using the wrong solder? I must practice more.
Dave.