Handle bars with built in horn button.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

Handle bars with built in horn button.

Post by Invicta »

Having started the restoration of my 1950 model 18 I noticed that the very rusty habdlebars have a built in horn push with the wire exiting from a small hole in the bars. Can anyone tell me if this was standard for the year.? I have noticed that acorn cap nuts have been used in several places where my 1949 model 18 has the usual nuts. There is also a small blue AJS badge abourt the size of a 10p ptece inset ito the crank case on the left side where the engine number is stamped. I have not noticed this on any other AJS . Did the bike leave the factory with these mods or are they the worl of some PO?
clive

Re: Handle bars with built in horn button.

Post by clive »

Cannot answer the domed nut or handle bar issue. One way to find out would be to compare part numbers between 49 and 50. The lists are available in the archives. I can say the little badge on the crankcase is a factory fitting though. They were fitted for a few years on the singles and twins.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

This list in the archive gives the Lucas parts fitted for 1950: https://www.jampot.com/archives//AJS%20 ... chless.pdf
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thank you Clive and Duncan. I have checked the 1949 and 1950 part number for the handlebars and they are the same. So I shall assume that a PO drilled and tapped the handle bars and fitted the horn wire through the bars themselves for a neater job rather than have the horn wire dangling or taped to the outside of the handle bars.