Leaking fork?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Ianwilko13

Leaking fork?

Post by Ianwilko13 »

I have had to clean a dirty/dusty mark from my lefthand fork leg on a couple of occasions, given its position I thought that it was oil blowing back from the front brake cable, on closer inspection the fork leg casting was cracked and the oil was leaking out :headbang: I sourced another fork leg (thank you Richard Gaunt) and set about the seemingly straightforward task. Regards, Ian.
20240324_142737.jpg
Screenshot_20240324_142538_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ianwilko13

Leaking fork part 2.

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Removal of the fork leg was straightforward, stripping the lower leg was not :twisted: having removed the oilseal holder and screwed studding to the damper tube both heat and a 2lb hammer proved useless, the buffer spring killing my efforts, nailing a blancmange to the ceiling would have been easier, as the leg was scrap the Dremil and chisel came out, the nylon bush looked original (and not nylon) it seemed more granular like a thermosetting plastic it also had 3 evenly spaced flats machined in?? Using the spares scheme new parts everything went together perfectly, but the homemade fork leg puller proved vital, had my fork leg not been scrap this could have proved to be a very awkward job, Best regards, Ian.
20240330_123314.jpg
20240413_153633.jpg
20240413_180754.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: Leaking fork?

Post by clive »

Ian as a moderator I have merged your two threads as it makes sense to follow through on one entry. The old bushes can be a pig to remove, gentle heat helps but too much and the bush can get damaged. Some sections have a puller made, and generously donated, by Andrews Engineering before they retired. Basically it bolts to the stanchion top cap one end and the bottom of the slider the other. A bolt then allows the rebound spring to be fully compressed and once done the bush slides out. Before access to this I used to warm the slider then put it underneath the clamp part of a workmate and whilst astride the base of the workmate pull the stanchion up sharply. A few blows and it came apart usually showering me and the general area in oil. :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

A bit late now, but this might have helped...
https://www.whatfunnyhat.com/Frame_Stuff/Fork_Tool.html
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Thanks Clive, I typed a lengthy reply about my lack of I.T. skills, pressed "submit" and it disappeared :headbang: John my workshop wouldn't be big enough to hang up all your "special tools" full respect though a very professional job, having read your post the "pusher" would be my choice, but I would worry about pulling the cap stud threads out, in engineering as you get older you go slower and look more carefully at potential disasters, Worry more. Thanks you both for all the help, here's an image of a couple of fork legs I'm working on tonight, kind regards, Ian.
20240419_181151.jpg