Leaking Carb Float Bowl

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Kite

Leaking Carb Float Bowl

Post by Kite »

Hello,

I recently took off the carb on my AJS Model 20 (1954), cleaned it and replaced the worn out gaskets. However, when I put it back on the bike, the fuel bowl won't stop leaking - I've replaced the the float needle, tested the float to see whether it would actually float in a container of petrol, replaced the float bowl cover and the gasket, but still no joy. It appears that the leak originates around the tickler, so that's the latest part I've ordered, but while I await its arrival I wondered whether anyone could offer any advice based on their experiences.

Many thanks,
Kite,
Oxfordshire.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Leaking Carb Float Bowl

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the club and Forums, Phill.
Presumably you have the Monobloc carb.
Does it have an original copper float or the later type of ethanol proof plastic float with Viton tipped needle?
The tickler doesn't seal anything. It's merely a probe to push down the float to raise the fuel level (E.g. for starting).
Have you refitted the small brass collar over the float pivot rod? It's to prevent the float from binding on the cover plate.
It's possible that the float is sticking down against one of the cover plate screw bosses in the chamber. See pic.........
Monobloc float chamber b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If you have an original monobloc do not use the washer that was probably in your gasket set under part 25 in Spriddlers picture as it will raise the fuel height. Confusingly recent newly manufactured monoblocs use the washer!
Kite

Post by Kite »

Thanks for your replies - the carb is indeed a monobloc - a 376/14 Amal, and the float is an original copper one and the needle is Viton tipped. I have fitted the small brass collar over the float rod, and I've also fitted a new fabric washer shown as No.25 in the picture - could this be the cause of my problems ? I'll take the washer off and let you know the outcome.

Many thanks to both Duncan and Spriddler.

Regards,
Kite.