Electronic ignition

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
simonmurphy

Electronic ignition

Post by simonmurphy »

I'd like to fit electronic ignition to my 1963 G12 CSR, which uses a magdyno. Is this conversion straightforward? And what is the best bit of kit to fit? Thanks in anticipation
Reynard24

Re: Electronic ignition

Post by Reynard24 »

I’ve just junked a thorspark unit and had the magneto rebuilt instead on my 1963 G12. Dynamo output is critical for electronic coil ignition so it would be better with an alternator equipped bike but even then, to my mind, coil ignition bikes never run as smoothly as those fitted with a magneto
dodger

Post by dodger »

Fit a BT-H electronic magneto, all the benefits of electronic ignition and a magneto, what's not to like except the price.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I also dumped the Thorspark, went back to mag and fitted a lecky leg.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

When I built my '54 G3/LS from a garagefull of assorted bits, I used the cams and timing covers from a '61 short stroke engine. That allowed me to use coil ignition as I didn't have a working magneto. I ran it that way for a couple of years before reverting to a magneto. It wasn't electronic ignition, just the normal points system. I have to say, I feel that it starts and runs better with the magneto.
How It was...
G3-1.JPG
How it is now...
picture146.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Left Coast

Post by Left Coast »

Hi Spookefoote1956 and Raynard 24. Why did you junk the Thorspark?
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Morning Lefty. The Thorspark was great for a while. First boot and start. Then, about a month before the warranty ran out it died. Chap sent me another one, insisting it couldn't fail, he tested it, it had! Second one wasn't having it, but to be fair I discovered that the piston had been badly paired and a rebore was required. Sent it back, it can't fail, it had. He sent me another but told me he wouldn't send me any more so I flogged it to someone in the club who was making a bitsa.

At that point I decided to make a lecky leg for the Beast using a Dynastarter. No more kicking until my type 1 diabetic leg shrivelled up required.
ll61.jpg
Do you know Tony in B.C?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Mine also failed and I very narrowly avoided the “walk of shame” pushing it home - thanks Pete for the use of your shed.
I’d only bought the bike last October with the setup already fitted and had intended to restore it to magneto ignition eventually but hoped to get a few miles on it before then but I’d only covered around sixty miles and with no setup instructions or diagnostic information from either the PO or the Thorspark website, my plans were brought forward somewhat.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

simonmurphy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm I'd like to fit electronic ignition to my 1963 G12 CSR, which uses a magdyno. Is this conversion straightforward? And what is the best bit of kit to fit? Thanks in anticipation
There's quite a lot of info and videos on fitting the Thorspark on the web if you Google it.
See link here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=thors ... nt=gws-wiz

I live 3 miles from their (Sussex Motorcycles) rather uninspiring premises in a farm silo so if you ave any specific questions/problems I'm happy to call round there, although he isn't often open.
CIMG7529.JPG
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Post by Groily »

It's a shame there are starting to be a few tales of woe with these units (quite a few of which have been reported on here in recent times), because it's the most affordable modern option really. I've come across a couple of set-ups on twins, which seemed to work well . . . but the owners reverted to magnetos after a bit all the same.

As with all electronic systems, from the expensive stand-alone BT-H spark generator through the other clever gizmos, mending them is a job for the makers or by substitution/ replacement, not a DIY fix unless it's just 'a wire off'. Which means 'stranded = well stuck'. With decent alternator power on hand, the Boyer Bransden kit seems good long term (I've had a couple, on a Notrun and a big Oilfield), as does Pazon, and RITA was in the past. But for our dynamo bikes it's hard to beat a mag in the end. My ha'pence worth.