1957 Fuel Tank decals/transfers/lines

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
DerekAJS30

1957 Fuel Tank decals/transfers/lines

Post by DerekAJS30 »

I'm looking for a supplier of fuel tank decals/transfers, the gold lines for a black tank on a 1957 Model 30. The club does not supply these, does anyone know where i can get the correct lines?
dave16mct

Re: 1957 Fuel Tank decals/transfers/lines

Post by dave16mct »

Classic Transfers do them. https://classictransfers.co.uk/product- ... us/ajs/Thy must be a nightmare to use! Why not go for chrome side panels as it would have originally?
Dave.
DerekAJS30

Post by DerekAJS30 »

Thanks Dave, Yes you raise an interesting point. The bike came with black painted tank and decals which do look rather nice. I've stripped the tank which will be repainted but following your comment, i checked the bacon book and it seems that the chrome side panels were correct for 1957 so now i need to rethink. I've been looking at images on line and most 57 bikes with chrome side panels seem to have blue tanks. was that normal and original ? All in all it changes the character of the bike quite a bit.
My other concern is to be sure the tank is correct, it looks OK but i wonder how forgiving the chrome panels are if the tank has been replaced at some point. I have other AJS/Matchless tanks that came in a bunch of bits that i am also rebuilding into a 52 G3Ls and they look quite similar but clearly are not the same so im sure there is scope for error somewhere along the way. These bikes do go through rebuilds, bodges, and many iterations over the years. I'm actually apalled at the state my M30 was in when i bought it - i started looking hard at it,and subsequently dismantled it !! - it looked like a reasonable bike when i bought it but i've ended up with a total rebuild to get things right. Lesson - don't read a book by its cover !
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

This is my 1958 G11 tank. I must admit I had quite a struggle putting these on. (And I've done a few before.) So don't think they'll just drop on! If you decide to go with the chrome panels and blue paint go for the black plastic beading.
Dave.