Kickstart / layshaft play

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Red Gauntlet

Kickstart / layshaft play

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Was trying to start this beast (G80CS) yesterday and the kickstart started to jam in the outer casing, discovered that the new shaft has started galling in the steel bush, close inspection revealed that it is probably a cheap copy as it scratches easily, not hardened properly, so in the bin it goes as too long away from purchase to send back probably (came from a reputable Norton 'agent'). Anyway the point is that the old shaft will have to go back for the minute, but close inspection has revealed that there is about 80 thou (2mm) of play in the shaft (in and out), new bearings etc but big play, experience from the Lightweight boxes tells me I might have a problem with 1st gear jumping out just when you don't need as the layshaft will be floating about.
Opinions please? I could always shim the KS shaft I suppose.
Red Gauntlet

Re: Kickstart / layshaft play

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Made some shims to fit behind the kickstart spindle but that is not really the way to go with this, a quick bodge to get the thing working and then strip the box down to see what is going on inside, I see there are various articles referencing this with Commando boxes, they shim those but it is really not good engineering practice, the shaft is being pushed the wrong way.

Stripped the box and found the roller bearing is just too rigid for the layshaft, insert ball bearing and although there is still the 80 thou 2mm of play in the kickstart shaft it does not appear to make any difference to the way the gearbox functions.