'48 Chrome Tank Lining Details

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Lance

Post by Lance »

Hello,

My '48 G80 tank (export model - USA)has been rechromed and it is now ready for paint. Before it was stripped, the outline of the red could be traced for a pattern, but the silver lining was not visible. I've seen all of the posts regarding tank lining and have all of the Club documentation as well.

None, though, seem to cover the very early post-war chrome export tanks. One diagram is labelled as '46-'50 but seems as if it were meant for black painted tanks (or is it both?). The other diagram is for '51-'56 models and does cover the chrome ones.

I've checked all 9 of my Matchless/AJS books and countless online pictures but can't seem to find an example.

So, I don't really need a diagram because I've got the patterns but it would help to know the thickness of the silver lining. And, if there was a thin stripe within the silver, how wide is that stripe. Also, were the silver stripes the same width on both top and side panels. And lastly, if there was an inner stripe, was it on both the top and sides.

Thanks,
Lance
Lance

Post by Lance »

Wow, I guess it must be a very rare tank (in jest). I'll just use the 46' to 50' tank lining design with the 3/8" silver stripe with the 1/32" pinstripe inside for both top and sides.

Should look nice.

Love the forum even if there are no replies. :)

Lance
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Being facetious Lance, if it was exported, we would never have seen them. We had to do with black.

paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

Lance, sorry for not responding earlier, but the lines on my restored export 1950 twin tank, copied from the original lines, are 1/2" wide silver, both top & sides with a central 1/16" wide blue pin stripe.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Lance

Post by Lance »

Paul - Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the information.

Alan - That's amusing. Thanks also for the reply.