Ex-WD G3R 1940

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
rossinyork

Ex-WD G3R 1940

Post by rossinyork »

Hi there, have just signed up today, so hello to everyone, and if i may jump straight in to pick peoples minds a bit. I currently doing some research into my grandfathers Ex- WD Matchless 1940 G3R, now can anyone enlighten me as to what G3R represents cos having gone through the internet for quite a while i havent found much. I can can info on G3L's but not G3R. Any help would be most appreciative.

Many thanks

Ross
bag-o-nails

Ex-WD G3R 1940

Post by bag-o-nails »

Hello Rossinyork
welcome to the club
if you go to the Eden Prisoner of war camp
Malton ryedale they have one in Hut 5
its just off the A64 Towards scarborough
just up the road from you its a good out
cheers b-o-n
bag-o-nails

Ex-WD G3R 1940

Post by bag-o-nails »

PS
just found a web site
www.edencamp.co.uk
itma

Ex-WD G3R 1940

Post by itma »

I think you will find the R denotes an engine with a roller bearing set up on the timimng side shafts, whether its still there now is a matter for investigation.
treat your bike as a G3.
G3L is the version wih teleforks.Edited by - itma on 08 Sep 2007 12:50:50 PM
rossinyork

Ex-WD G3R 1940

Post by rossinyork »

That sounds interesting will have to investigate further, its just a bit odd that nothing can be found about the G3R unless its just a feature they stamped on it to make it sound good, because it was designed to be a civillian bike but then the war came. It has the metal plate on tank where switches used to be that the army didn't want but it has badge fixing holes on side, which later army bikes did not have. Interesting non the less.
Have passed eden camp many times but have never actually been, shall have to make the effort.
itma

Ex-WD G3R 1940

Post by itma »

ROLLER BEARING !!!!! Rossinyork
Why is it everyone that finds one of these sets of cases is determined to try to make it out to be something special.
No factory was ever in the habit of stamping numbers on things to make them "sound good"
WD G3's had the switches in the tank as per normal, and also the metal flying M on the tank if there was someone who did'nt want them, it was the previous owner who has flogged them off, this assembly of panel and switches sells for around £500 on ebay
All WDG3 bikes at the 39-40 era were identical to civvy bikes, save minor details, and an awful lot of civvy bikes were bought in by the services.
You ought to sign onto the yahoo pre war and WD group, [via links top right]where John Tinley will fill you with as much accurate info as you need
P10

Ex-WD G3R 1940

Post by P10 »

I knew nothing about the G3R until I saw my first one at a bike show in Ashford last weekend but with help from the likes of Rob Harknett and his contacts I am learning! Apparently they were made in 1940 and 1941 only and were G3's either modified with roller bearings or fitted with full G3L bottom ends. There apears to be some doubt as to whether the 'R' stands for 'roller bearing' bottom end or simply 'Revised' G3. Early ones had girders but about the last 50 had teles and some of the last ones had full G3L engines. I don't know the exact differences between G3 and G3L bottom ends of this period myself so some further education would be appreciated to verify some of this detail.
itma

Ex-WD G3R 1940

Post by itma »

they are for all intents and purposes the same bottom end.
I have always understood the R to mean roller;
The roller seems like a good idea but it did not last as you have found out.
Those engines that did have the roller, and there were quite a lot, were later modified with a double diameter T/S bush, with steel sleeve to surround the large diameter and fill the space which the roller occupied.
earlier G3's had a longer plain bush.
I have all three types here,apart from above no difference in the cases or flywheels
P10

Ex-WD G3R 1940

Post by P10 »

Thanks itma; that all make sense and the education is appreciated. At least we all know what a G3R is now!