The AMC gearbox

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
snatchpiece

The AMC gearbox

Post by snatchpiece »

quote:
The site with the gearbox info is superb, is the box identical to the one on my G12 or is it just similar? I hope I never have to work on mine, but in case I do this info will be helpful if it applies.

Anyone?
A clever man can guess a woman's age,
A wise man never does.
Biscuit
Deceased

The AMC gearbox

Post by Biscuit »

They are the same apart from the bottom mounting, it is more to the rear on the Norton box. As mentioned before, the kick starter spring may have a different locating method.

snatchpiece

The AMC gearbox

Post by snatchpiece »

quote:
They are the same apart from the bottom mounting, it is more to the rear on the Norton box. As mentioned before, the kick starter spring may have a different locating method.

Thanks Alan.
A clever man can guess a woman's age,
A wise man never does.
PGGuse

The AMC gearbox

Post by PGGuse »

Reverting to differences between "old" AMC- and "new" AMC/Norton gear boxes and securing of the K/S spring I must correct my posting 27 October:

Because the new spring width is double of the old one (10 windings Ø 3.25 mm vs 5 windings Ø 2.7 mm wire size) the space between the inner and the outer kick start case has been considerably enlarged by milling down the inner and outer K/S bearing seat, and shortening the K/S bush in the outer case accordingly. Thus the outside gear box dimensions remain unchanged.
And of course the new spring retaining stud must be installed.
Note: grinder, lathe and hammer are not enough; a milling m/c will be necessary, too :-))

Some pictures showing the above will be uploaded to Pictures>parts pictures>post war twins
Paul in Frankfurt

deshollier
Deceased

The AMC gearbox

Post by deshollier »

I have started restoring a AMC box that has more parts missing than I first realised when I bought it! The important thing is that I have so far found that all the parts I require are available either from Andover Norton or the various dealers they supply, such as Norvil or Russell Motors. It is true that some parts are available from JSL, but no where near enough to carry out a restoration. Yes, there are many used bits around - but where I might use such in a repair - I would prefer new items in a restoration. The main question is - will the money run out before the job is complete!
Biscuit
Deceased

The AMC gearbox

Post by Biscuit »

I'm currently assembling one from a box of bits, everything went well until I put the K/S cover on, it wouldn't go right home. Investigation showed that the hole in the K/S axle for the spring is to near the end and vanishes inside the bush. Norvil lists three part numbers for this axle, so beware

deshollier
Deceased

The AMC gearbox

Post by deshollier »

Much obliged Biscuit, I shall certainly watch out for that, as it is one of the bits that I require.