G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by basketcase »

Hello all,I am nearing completion the rebuild of the above `bike and now am wondering if I should convert the electrics to 12 volt or not? Upon enquiring about the convertion, boyer brandson say that I need to change the coil, horn etc. This is where I am hesitating as I`ve spent ages searching out the original parts, which will be 6v and I don`t fancy having to replace them as I`ve spent quite a bit of the hard earned. Is it really worth it as the `bike will only be used for about 2-3,000 miles per year and are the original Wipac bits really that bad? All advice welcome.
Cheers, basketcase.
ajscomboman

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by ajscomboman »

I'm probably tempting fate by saying this, but i'm still using the 6v original coil, new points and a NGK platinum plug. The bike starts well and has given no trouble since its rebuild in 1999. I did contemplate going down the 12v route but as i had all the components i stuck with 6v. I would suggest that you invest in a 6v Halogen headlight bulb as it is a worthwhile upgrade and a LED 6v tail lamp.

Rob
Tolly

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by Tolly »

I would hate to contradict Robert, but I would go for 12v if you are using electronic ignition. Boyer will be able to explain better than I as to the reason why (I think it's to do with proportional volt drop). If you do decide to go to 12v the coil is off the shelf and cheaper than the 6v. Seek advise from Colin Farrenden who is a master of wiring looms as you need to get rid of the resistance wire within the loom, I would get him to make you a new loom altogether.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Circlip

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by Circlip »

You have forgotten the alternator. With what will you charge the 12 battery.

I have written about this before, but its very easy to convert to modern electrics and do away with the old selection system.

Re connect the windings in the alternator from one to the other so you have a wire in-- and goes from coil to coil and a wire out.

This is your AC 6 volt--actually about 7.5

This is just enough and will run the bike in a conventional manner. You will need the diode block to convert to DC and the regulator.
I used old Honda C 90 stuff and It was cheap. Under a fiver ,--but Im in Thailand.

Its been like this for 15 years and I never have a flat battery or even think about it.

Well not till I am on a poorly lit road at night.

The 6 volt head light is not good, but I dont use it much at night and there might be a way round it if I tried.
Locust

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by Locust »

Basketcase
The decision is simple, do you intend to use the bike at night.??? if yes then 12v is better than 6v but if you don't then our bikes were given 6v and run on that for years without problems so why change.???
The only mod I do is to fit a solid state rectifier.
Having said all that I do like to use my headlight in daylight so that I can be seen.

basketcase

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by basketcase »

Thanks for all the feedback. I`ve decided to stay with the 6v mainly due to the ammount of money already thrown at the `bike, new wiring loom, bulbs, battery etc and as Locust points out I`m not going to ride at night, mainly because I work nights!!
Now about the joints/connections on the wiring harness, do I replace them with soldered/shrink wrap ones or use the original bullet ones. I`m not that fussy about originality just reliability, and you don`t see that many anyway.
Cheers, basketcase.
Circlip

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by Circlip »

I hate bullets,--you have 3 dry joints there, solder and shrink wrap.
bjork

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by bjork »

In reply to your last question about connections, my preference is to use the Japanese type of connector. They are readily available from 'Vehicle Wiring Products'in Derbyshire, who do a very quick mail order service. You need (ideally) the right crimping tool for these, but you can get by with ordinary pliers-it just takes ages. The right tool is available from this firm too. Soldering and so on is great until you need to work on the harness, then you have to un-do your previous work. I do do that on some joints but only those that won't make later maintenance awkward.

The advantage with these connectors is that they stay firmly connected and seem to resist corrosion well. I still spray mine with ACF50 though, and then riding all year even with minimal washing does no harm to them.

Whichever way you decide, the connectors need to be spot on. With 6 volts any resistance will be twice as much trouble.

Just googled them and the web site is- wwww.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk - Strangely there are four dubyas? but it seems to work anyway.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
56G80S

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by 56G80S »

With my 14 CSR, I sourced a halogen set up at 6V and was happy, but my eyesight was better then! I did do some longer rides on it, for example Middlesbrough to Bath and back (2 up with the steel quadrant panniers and a top box as well). It went fine and no electrical or night vision problems.

I'm also sticking with this lighting setup for the G80S now (plus LEDs at the back, which weren't available then).

Johnny B
basketcase

G2 CSR 12 volt or not?

Post by basketcase »

I didn`t think that you could get LED`s and halogen`s in 6v so I will buy some of those if they help idiot car drivers see you better. Thanks again everyone.