G2 CSR Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by basketcase »

Hello All,

I know that somewhere in the forum this has cropped up but try as I might I can`t find it, on reassembling the clutch on my Matchless G2 CSR how do I set up the three springs? Does it affect the pressure required at the lever if I tighten them too much or does it just wreck the clutch? Also how much play should there be on the primary chain? Getting pretty fed up now, spent three hours in a freezing garage, on my knees, putting the engine and bits back, feeling pleased with how everything was going, photographing each stage, when I realised that I`d forgotten the back plate behind the clutch and front sprocket!! Doh..on undoing the wrongs I managed to pierce my finger with a bradawl (don`t ask!), rip off my right index finger nail(ouch) and trap my leg under the `bike when it slipped off the centre stand, we all know how useful they are, centre stands and legs!I`ll be using the side stand from now on, or a pile of old bricks.
Cheers, basketcase.
Biscuit
Deceased

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by Biscuit »

The spring nuts should be screwed on such that the stud just appears at the bottom of the slot in the head. Over tightening will make the clutch lever heavy, and in the extreme case will prevent withdrawal of the clutch. I think the chain whip should be 1/2" at it's tightest point.

Don't forget the correct sequence for clutch adjustment.

The second thing I learnt as a young apprentice was to always keep your fingers behind the cutting edge of a tool.

Samuel

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by Samuel »

and the first thing ?
Sam
Circlip

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by Circlip »

Loktite the cluth hub nut --

Tighten the screws untill you can kick the engine over without feeling slip. The power of the engine is not more than this. Pull the clutch in and look to see if the clutch is clearing evenly and not cocking to one side.

Open the little inspection plate on the other side and adjust the cable pull cam so that it pulls at 90 degrees (Max leverage)
The 250 has a lovely clutch when set up right.

This is not from the manual but from my own experience.
Biscuit
Deceased

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by Biscuit »

Don't answer back!!

basketcase

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by basketcase »

Thanks everyone,
Looks like I`ll have to take it apart again to loctite the clutch retaining nut but I thought that it would be alright with the spring washer behind.
What, exactly, is the correct sequence for setting up the clutch?
How do you hold something, attached to said `bike, and manage to keep fingers/hands behind the dangerous bits? (I was using the bradawl to mark gasket paper).
The first thing that I was taught; go to the stores for a long weight(wait), and yes I did fall for it.
Cheers, basketcase.
Circlip

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by Circlip »

quote:
Don't answer back!!

??????????? sorry dont errrr get it??

Who me ,--what?
Biscuit
Deceased

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by Biscuit »

No no, not you Circlip, the inference being that an apprentice, certainly a first year one, kept his mouth shut.

Circlip

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by Circlip »

Oh I see --got ya!!
itma

G2 CSR Clutch

Post by itma »

for marking out holes in gaskets, use a Ball Pein Hammer, and rotate the ball end onthe paper, over the required hole or holes.