Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
itma

woe woe G2 woe

Post by itma »

cheers Alan
jim501

woe woe G2 woe

Post by jim501 »

But ...... if we can accept that an interim change was made to lock the stator in position with the long bolt thingy, why was it subsequently altered again to use a seperate lock bolt and an extra hole ?? Could it be that the interim modification was a recipe for disaster and caused untold nasties to occur ?? Perhaps this was the end for AMC drowning under the financial pressures of warranty claims. Would it be advizable to skip straight on to the later design ?? Was the half a piston an integral part of this interim breather system discharging crankcase pressure under the descending piston back up to the combustion chamber ? An attempt to combine the benefits of 2 stroke and 4 stroke operation ?? Somebody must know the answer to these questions. I think we should be told.

cheers
jim
Biscuit
Deceased

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Biscuit »

Perhaps an extra hole and a short (standard) bolt was cheaper than the long hollow bolt and the machined face to accept the head of that bolt.

itma

woe woe G2 woe

Post by itma »

Or of course my cynical alternative is that it was let through without it being machined in the first place; they were never popular at Plumstead even.
I would suppose that even if the stator was not fixed there would be a degree of breathing albeit errratic, or, maybe if it was tight enough in the housing it would have worked nonetheless.
Having today looked at the silencer with a view to welding its splits, I think I have found where all the oil vented to...never seen a silencer with an oil leak before.
Merlin

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Merlin »

Wait until I get my Greeves going.
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

woe woe G2 woe

Post by itma »

bet this G2 will outsmoke your Greeves even after I clean out the silencer, it`ll be a real old tarboiler
Biscuit
Deceased

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Biscuit »

Seems odd, we went for several years without mention of a lightweight, now they are everywhere.

Merlin

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Merlin »

Thanks for the compliment Alan not been called light since I were a lad.
Chemists do it with test tubes
paul knapp

woe woe G2 woe

Post by paul knapp »

...and wot 'light' might that have been??

...fingers!!

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Locust

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Locust »

Itma
If you do go down the path of drilling out a long bolt make sure the wall thickness of the tube at the threaded end is not too thin , if that were to shear and the ring turn then you could have an engine that would be no good to anyone.
I have just put a Royal Enfield Crusader engine togather that has had lots of mods on the breathing side over the years but now they say that if you have good breathing you have less chance of oil leaks, makes sence to me.
It might be an idea to add some breathing to the lightweight engine, what say the rest of you.???