G80Cs timing side brg/bush

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Vern Brady

Post by Vern Brady »

Happy New Year all. I am trying to get my late type G80 engine back together after 34 years in storage! I pulled it apart in 1973 to press in a new big end and then had the crank assembly stolen when I sent it out to have the flywheels trued. I bought a used crank assembly via ebay and have ordered a new crankpin assy and drive side bearings and stuff from JSL. I also have a new timing side axle (Norton oil pump type) coming from AMC Classic Spares. I gather that the timing side roller bearings are not available, but thankfully my original is still servicable. The "inner member" as the books refer to the roller brg inner race (?) stayed on my original crankshaft and was lost with it. I intend to have a new one machined once I get the new timing side axle (030138). So here is where I need some help: I am assuming the bearing "inner member" is steel - if not, please advise. The parts books mention #030184 - a bush oil seal, timing side axle. The service manual describes a thin bronze bush used in the timing side crankcase. Can anyone describe how this is located for reassembly. I can't seem to find the old one, and of course didn't order a new one! The roller brg itself is marked SKEFRAM with no number. If anyone has any other thoughts/warnings they would like to share PLEASE feel free to do so. I'll take all the help I can get. Cheers, Vern Brady
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Contact Dave Campbell, (turgwe@alaska.com), of the North American Section who has sourced the bearings used in these engines.

Cheers, Don.