headlight

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mikeydpippin

headlight

Post by mikeydpippin »

I'm off to the Bath and West classic bike show tommorrow i noticed whilst there today there are a lot of new 7" headlights glass unit with rims
Do i need the headlight with the pilot bulb,also at the show there were speedos for £45 i would like to replace the pitted chrome on my existing rather than buy new, is this possible?
also the speedo i have sticks on 20mph when connecting to drill it moves higher but still stops on 20,is this repairable?
Sorry for all the questions but you guys know best,Thanks in advance,Mike.
Mike
Biscuit
Deceased

headlight

Post by Biscuit »

Study the headlamp very carefully, note the finish and the fit of the mounting bolts, read what I said about the 'Tunku' example I was given to fit to a bike.

The speedo bezel can be bought new. The speedo can be repaired.

Have a good day.

TommoT

headlight

Post by TommoT »

Agree with Alan, I also bought a brand new repro headlamp for a 1953 twin, you know the type with underslung pilot light. Finish and fit is terrible. Another time I'd rather by second hand and restore.

While on the subject can't help mention my luck on eBay recently, found a N.O.S. -56 onwards type headlamp, complete in original Lucas box, with switches and all wiring for approx. £50 incl. postage to my address. That was cheaper than the repro! Was I chuffed or not?
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
wilko

headlight

Post by wilko »

I have'nt had any problems with repro headlights (7 or 8 inch) maybe there's more than one manufacturer! the switches are good quality and the Ammeters are very steady so i guess i got lucky! douglas