G2 CSR Gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Winkie

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by Winkie »

I had the equivalent AJS model 14CSR back in 1967 (it was a 1966 model) and it always leaked from the kickstart shaft, despite renewing the seal several times. A new seal may help a bit, but the high oil level needed in these boxes tends to make good sealing difficult. Mine also had a small amount of play in the lever - this was reduced when I changed the return spring - I remember that these were always a bit on the weak side, so I don't think you have too much to worry about. Just keep the oil level topped up and enjoy the bike.
ajscomboman

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by ajscomboman »

Nigel

The oil level in these gearboxes is critical. With the gears being at the top of the box they require lubrication at all times. Oil leaks and the subsequent running dry is why the majority of these boxes failed in the past, especially in the hands of learner riders. The late Malcolm Saggers offered a machining facility that allowed the end cover to be fitted with lipped oil seals on both starter and gear change shafts. Most competent engineering companies will be able to offer this service but at a cost. I had Malcolm machine my cover and it's the best modification done on my Mod8, 10 yrs on still no leaks.

Whilst i think about it, i recall that way back there was an article written in the Jampot about fitting lipped seals. Maybe Jampot Editor Chris Read has something in his archives.

CR

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by CR »

quote: Whilst i think about it, i recall that way back there was an article written in the Jampot about fitting lipped seals. Maybe Jampot Editor Chris Read has something in his archives.

You have almost as good a memory as I do! Article was published in Jampot issue 563 (june 1999) and was written by a Mr A.Trace from Plymouth.

I don't know if this one is in the archives? If not I'll have to scan it - but I need to finish the new Parts List first...
Eamonn
Webmaster

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by Eamonn »

Corners like a Lego man
basketcase

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by basketcase »

Thank you Eamonn,too bl**dy clever for my liking! I`m off work this week so it will have to wait until I can access the toolroom next week. Thanks everyone,
MikeM.

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by MikeM. »

If the standard seal is the same size as used on the AMC ('58 onwards) gearbox then the one you want is available from AMC Classic Spares (advert in the Jampot). They cost 50p each, I have used one and so far seems to have cured the leak.
ajscomboman

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by ajscomboman »

Go into tech articles and click on gearbox it'll come up there. I've just tried and found it.
ajscomboman

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by ajscomboman »

Nigel meant say tech articles then click tech tips then gearbox.
basketcase

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by basketcase »

Thanks all, I`ve printed off a copy and pinned it to the wall behind my workbench. Let`s see me lose it now!!

Cheers,basketcase.
basketcase

G2 CSR Gearbox

Post by basketcase »

I`ve recently renewed the seals,gaskets and kickstart return spring in the outer section of the gearbox. Upon re-assembly I found it impossible to find any gears. Eventually after about 30-40 tries I assembled it and `found` that I had gears. The only problem being now is that it jumps out of first gear upon acceleration.
Where have I gone wrong?
Pleadingly, basketcase.