Re-fitting rear wheel.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
crawsue

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by crawsue »

So when the advice is tighten the adj. ring "hand tight" (which is what I've done) are you saying that that doesn't leave enough clearance at the bearing?If not,how tight is hand tight? Paranoia mounting by the revolution!
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Biscuit
Deceased

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by Biscuit »

This is becoming quite a saga. Normmally, or at least normal for me, one would start off with excessive play which you gradually reduce by tightening the adjusting ring until you get to the 1/64" rock, then tighten the lock ring.

Perhaps Mr.Salmond will change the goalposts when you obtain independance, and everything will be allright

crawsue

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by crawsue »

Alan,we wouldn't want to leave you folks in the 5h1t,especially now that you have got us as PM and chancellor.Had it all off again this morning and..fingers crossed... it is a lot better,perceptible movement at the rim,which I will moniter perhaps to tighten up after a run or two.Punched up the retaining ring good and tight,but still to nervous to apply the cable...I'll give that a few hundred miles! MOT tomorrow,hopefully the end of this saga,but I feel that having re-read the various responses ,this is an area that gives many owners an element of concern.Thanks again for taking the time to contribute.
Circlip

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by Circlip »

Adustable taper bearings need play, but this is in no way affecting the play or space for the speedometer drive. When all tigtened up the speedometer drive gear and spacer if it has one, should become one with the axle.
crawsue

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by crawsue »

Just a final note from me on this issue,'bike sailed through the MOT on Wednesday,the examiner even commented on the efficiency of the brakes!!!!!Speedo drive (which is still not connected to the cable)had moved by about 15 degrees by the time I got home,but I feel that it was just the complete assembly "bedding in",repositioned it and "jacked it up" tighter than I would have thought was normal,did a 10 mile run and it seems OK.Wheel now nicely spinning on the bearings ,and in answer to my own question of a few posts ago ,there is no residual heat to be felt on the axle ends or spacers.
Biscuit
Deceased

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by Biscuit »

Is the gearbox free to turn when off the bike? If it has a grease nipple give it a good few pumps. If no nipple (Mary, Queen of Scots, had three apparently) try and work some into the worm and wheel.

crawsue

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by crawsue »

Alan,the gearbox has a nipple and had a good ammount of grease in when it threw the cable on my first attempt.I added some sae 50 and re assembled the drive,felt washer and back plate....which appears just to be a push fit (can you confirm?).On spinning the wheel while on the centre stand the drive appears to be working OK,but I am not altogether sure that the back plate is particularily secure (it isn't).I was reading a past forum discussion (from ThomoT in June '07)on this subject and a contributor suggested that one of his club colleagues had dispensed with the cable securing nut at the speedo drive and instead secured same with an elastic band!Certainly not concourse ,but expedient given the possibilities of a "lock-up"?The next few miles will certainly be covered "gingerly" and I will only apply the cable when my nerve has returned!
crawsue

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by crawsue »

Just to confirm,this speedo drive is a genuine Smiths old stock part and the "back plate" to which I am referring is the steel "C shaped" (in section)ring which appears to hold the felt ring in place.
Biscuit
Deceased

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by Biscuit »

Yep, 'tis a push fit, some are harder to push than others.

If you have REALLY tightened the locking ring, then everthing should be fine UNLESS there is wear/damage to the worm and wheel within the gearbox

Merlin

Re-fitting rear wheel.

Post by Merlin »

With the spring coming I wish this thread would stop,afer my first and hopefully last rip wrap I am feeling very nervous.
Regards,
Merlin.
Chemists do it with test tubes