Wipac 4 wire alternator

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
mikethomas850

Wipac 4 wire alternator

Post by mikethomas850 »

Am restoring 1965 matchless G2 CSR , It was an ex Police Bike with the tank cut out for radio telephone.It seems to have a strange Alternator made by Wipac. Unlike the Lucas models it has a 4 wire output, looks like all three sets of winding pairs in series are brought out for boost charging options.. If any one has any info on this alternator i would be grateful.Can i convert to 12v or is that only possible with the 3 wire versions that have 2 pairs of thre coils in series.
haddy52

Wipac 4 wire alternator

Post by haddy52 »

3 phase runs the world,measure between random selections, one measurement will read lower voltage. this means you have reference point.two voltages between phases[high]
common phase [low]

mikethomas850

Wipac 4 wire alternator

Post by mikethomas850 »

Thanks haddy52 will check when running,but cant see it being 3 phase as old selenium rect cant support.Control was also done by headlamp switching and resistive loom(whats left of it) Cheers.
itma

Wipac 4 wire alternator

Post by itma »

surely if you wish to convert to 12v the best way forward is to junk the wipac and fit a new 2 wire lucas type alternator?
mikethomas850

Wipac 4 wire alternator

Post by mikethomas850 »

thanks for your input itma,much appreciated, but there is evidence that Wipac were better than Lucas,somewhere on the forum i have read a comparison between the two that favors Wipac against Lucas tested on a norton.Why spend money on a replacement if the original will do or be modified? Cheers
itma

Wipac 4 wire alternator

Post by itma »

You are quite right about the Wipac over the Lucas, but the lucas replacemment is easier to find;also having had some experience of Police electrics back in the 60s when all sorts of weird and wonderful ideas to pump up the power for ever increasing electrical demand on police bikeswere tried, if anything I would at least revert to a standard wipac.
Ajs
Bsa
Triumph
Greeves and an number of others tied them selves in real knots with early 12v