Hi, guess what, it's ME.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
paul knapp

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by paul knapp »

G'day Brian, the straight 50 oil you are going to use in the box, make sure that it is SAE50 engine oil, and not SAE50 gear oil, for if it IS gear oil, the viscosity will be a little on the thin side. If it is purpose made gear oil, it should be SAE90. (50 engine and 90 gear are confusingly the same viscosity)

...and just wait till somebody tells you about the rumour that some of those twins are known to wet sump them selves, which then over flows into the primary drive, overfilling it, which then causes the excess oil to be flung over the rear wheel when ridden!
Hmmmm!

Cheers, Paul.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

CR

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by CR »

Oh dear! I wasn't going to ask the question yet as to why the chaincase was over full with oil. But now it's out...
itma

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by itma »

never seen 50 grade gearbox oil, must be a down under thing
Samuel

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by Samuel »

My grandfather was head teacher at Dr Morgans School, Bridgewater back in the years after the 1st World War. As a child, I used to spend my summers at Burnham on Sea and Highbridge visiting my fathers parents. Just trust ITMA on oil ...
Sam
Karaokebrian

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Itma, would love to take you up on your offer of oil and I of course I would love to meet you, provided of course you don't take the mickey too much. Do you sing? Do a very cool Karaoke at the Market House, Glastonbury, every other Sunday. You know all the old stuff. Neil Diamond, Shirley Bassey, & the Wurzels. (Have you heard of them?) LOL. Please Keep in touch.

Paul. Thank you, will ensure that oil is the correct stuff thaks for bringing it to my attention. I'm sure that Itma will set me right. You see I am very lucky having nice memberslike you and the guys looking after me. Are you getting bored? Carrying on re your comments re "wet sumping" I can believe that as when I bought the bike, on checking the Chaincase I was amazed as to how much overfilled the chaincase was and I thought the person must have laid the bike on its side to get so much oil in there. I will keep a very strict eye on the chaincase oil level in future to try to see whats happening. G'ud on ya mate.
Karaokebrian

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Sam, Small world isn't it. you'll be pleased to know it's still there. No, not the school, you plonker, Burnham On Sea. LOL Thanks mate.
itma

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by itma »

I shall send you a PM re Glaston nearer the time.
not even if very very drunk do I sing