G2 CSR Steering bump stops!?!

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

Post by basketcase »

Hi,could some kind soul advise me of the steering stops fitted to the forks of my G2 CSR. At the moment there aren`t any and the handlebars are touching the nice and shiny, freshly painted and chromed petrol tank, ouch!I`m not sure if they fit to the bottom yoke or to the down tube as there seems to be a threaded hole there. The holes in the yoke aren`t threaded, should they be?
All help gratefully received, basketcase.
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

Hi Nigel, there should be a shape on the lower yoke which touches the frame on full lock, I had this trouble when I first built up my G5 and then found the problem to be the front tank rubbers which were too thick, this lifted the tank up allowing the bars to touch on full lock.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Where did you get the handlebars?, if they are new that is.

TommoT

Post by TommoT »

Had the same on my G80 when first assembled. First I cut down the tank rubbers, or actually I used Tríumph ones, they are about half the height of AMC ones. That cured it, but still the air gap between the handlebars' middle section and tank was dangerously slim. I then discovered, as Alan is on to, that the handlebars were incorrect. The middle horizontal section, that goes into the clamp, was too wide. I found out that, if memory serves me right that the width of that middle section mustn't be more 5-6 inches.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
basketcase

Post by basketcase »

Couldn`t get hold of the correct handlebars so opted for a set from the heavy weight which are slightly raised and a lot more comfortable.The tank rubbers are two thicknesses, I`ve put the thick ones above the bracket and the thin ones below, perhaps if I were to reverse them it would make a difference.Still cant work out what the hole in the frame and the holes in the bottom yoke are for though? On full lock the difference is at least the thickness of my index finger, 1/2".
Basketcase.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Tom's right about the centre straight portion, in a nutshell,
JSL bars good, Armours bad,

There should be no need to go cutting rubbers or placing the thin ones 'twixt tank and bracket - get the correct bars.

itma

Post by itma »

there should be two upright stops in the bottom yoke.
are these the threaded holes you refer to?
if you reverse the rubbers your tank will probably split.
basketcase

Post by basketcase »

Hi Ken,there doesn`t seem to be a thread in the holes in the yokes, the threaded hole is in the downtube. At the moment, with the tank off, the yoke touches the frame just above this hole.I see what you mean about the rubbers, if reversed the tank touches the frame so when tightened the tank is pulled against the top tube.

The handlebars were purchased from AMC Classics,a standard AMC pattern. If there were stops in the yoke/frame then they wouldn`t be a problem. I guess that original bars would do the same without a stop, anyway I`ve tried to get hold of the originals (3 years) with no luck except for a very rusty, ropey pair that were well over priced, I walked away.

Looks like I`ll have to turn something up at work tonight, the joys of working nightshift where there are no management about (too busy counting profits)! I was just hoping that there was something missing that I hadn`t got, apart from the obvious!!

Cheers everyone.
itma

Post by itma »

the threaded hole then, is for part of the steering damper [how pointless?]
do you have the standard lightweight forks?
I'll post a pic later of the G2 here.
basketcase

Post by basketcase »

No I`ve the CSR,with teledraulics.
I was thinking of making a `B` shaped bracket out of hard plastic that bolted to the downtube threaded hole.