Oil Levels CSR Lightweight G2

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
paul miles

Post by paul miles »

Hi all,
I have 3 manuals for my 63 G2 CSR.They all say much the same when it comes to oil levels in the crankcase, when looking through the filler cap at the front, the oil level once the sump is scavenged should be about an Inch below the filler cap.
I changed the oil recently re-filled with 2 1/2 pints yet when I check the oil level its about 2 inches + below the filler cap,cant work out why!!!!!
Any ideas?
Regards
Paul M
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

I run my G5 half an inch below the return hole which you can see once you have removed the filler cap. Any higher and it seems to throw it out somewhere to find it's own level again.
One bit of advice I would give, check the level frequently as it does not hold much oil and also check the gearbox oil as often, if the oil level goes down by an inch the gears will be running dry.

Regards, Tolly

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I'd check the gearbox oil very often. Lean it over get as much in as you can and make that oval plate oiltight before standing up if going on a long trip.

I took mine 2 up with two full panniers on round trip down to Bath, Selsey near Chichester and back to Middlesbrough, but had fortunately learnt this lesson previously.

The first gearbox had wrecked out because I didn't realise that all the gears were at the top.

Johnny B
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

'Cos its spread all round the engine.

paul miles

Post by paul miles »

Sorry for the delay in answering.
Thanks for all your advice
Regards