a few bits...

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
danatkins

a few bits...

Post by danatkins »

Hi Guys

So.. I am delighted to tell everyone I managed to get the alton up and running, and the electrics are working!!!! I swapped out the chain housing and put on some mirrors, which makes it a lot easier to ride..

Now.. there is a whining coming from the clutch, which I think maybe that its not been leveled out properly, as Biscuit had advised me on. I am having serious problems driving in traffic, and keep stalling it to the annoyance of anyone else on the road. After it heats up, it idles fine, but I can't seem to take off from a red light.. I know this sounds really stupid, but since my last bike was a Honda CBR 600, I thought maybe you guys would have some pointers, mechanical or simple driving instructions!!!!

Dan
bjork

a few bits...

Post by bjork »

It should be just as easy as the Honda to use the clutch and pull away, so something isn't right. (I like stating the obvious)
Is the whining there all the time? or only when you pull the clutch in? Is the chain case fouling the clutch for example?
If it's stalling, is the clutch dragging? That would be caused by insufficient lift or lifting unevenly.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
paul knapp

a few bits...

Post by paul knapp »

Dan, you don't have the primary chain too tight do you? This can cause a 'whining' noise.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

clive

a few bits...

Post by clive »

I have not read earlier entries however the newer sort of Alton alternator makes a very loud clicking sound on kick over. This settles down on tickover to a whirring noise. may appear to be coming from the clutch depending on how good your hearing is. This clicking sound from the Alton is correct and does not really spoil the sound once you are moving as it gets drowned by all those other rattles a well used Amc makes. The power generated makes it all worthwhile.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
danatkins

a few bits...

Post by danatkins »

hmmm.. OK so the whining is only there when it is idling. I think I have the clutch uneven.Ill have another go later! Thanks.
Biscuit
Deceased

a few bits...

Post by Biscuit »

Did you seize the opportunity to clean the oil from the clutch plates?

I have found that initially a completely oil free clutch does tend to be fierce. It may well improve as the plates become oily again.

danatkins

a few bits...

Post by danatkins »

Biscuit you were dead right!! Thats exactly what was wrong, or right! I just logged on to tell everyone, but you beat me to it! Thanks guys, Ill talk to you again, when I try to install the speedo..

Dan
crawsue

a few bits...

Post by crawsue »

Dan,if you havn't already tackled the speedo fitment ,have a quick trawl through recent postings on this somewhat veved subject.....especially getting the drive box properly fitted....it has caused quite a bit of angst in the past,although it should be a straightforward job,regards,Crawford.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?