How wide is an outfit/combination.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Daveski

Post by Daveski »

Hi all, I am looking to fit a sidecar to my Triumph Bonneville [2007 Hinckley]. I know this is not a Triumph forum but modern Triumph riders dont seem to go for sidecars [and my little G2 is not up to a chair].I think Matchless/AJS owner are more likely to be clued up on sidecars maybe. The reason I am asking is that it will only be a option if a combo can be less than 58 inches wide as my only access is along a narrow path [no problem for a solo]. The bike is 35 inches wide between mirror,only leaving 23 inches for total width. Am I wasting my time with this project?, or is it possible.
Thanks, Daveski
1961 Matchless G2
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
itma

Post by itma »

you want A 2ft wide sidecar?

you will die on the first left hand bend.
Years ago, 1920s, a folding side car was marketed so it could be pushed through a doorway.
I'd say this is a non starter
anyway have you EVER driven a sidecar outfit?
they scare me witless
paultbird

Post by paultbird »

This should give you a bit of idea of dimensions.

http://www.watsonian-squire.com/othersidecar.htm

http://www.poachers-jampot.co.uk/
Daveski

Post by Daveski »

Thanks for the info folks, it was as I expected. Will have to wait till I move house to continue.I have had 2 outfits over the years and loved em both. A 1960 BSA A10 with a sidecar made from an old fairground rocket, complete with rear fins, also I fitted a Jawa 350 chair to my 1986 Yamaha SR500 so my then girlfriend could take her test on a 500. I think the T100 Bonneville would ideal to pull a chair, will have to put it on the back burner for now. A folding sidecar sounds a bit scary, like something George Formby would have ridden in his films.
Daveski
1961 Matchless G2
paultbird

Post by paultbird »

There was the Sidewinder in the '80s which was just a box and allowed the bike to lean. A lad that I saw a few times at rallies had one on a Suzuki 1100 on L plates.

petert120r

Post by petert120r »

Agree itma. Why on earth do you want to do this and achieve the worst of both worlds? Cars = stability, air conditioned and stereo'd protection while wrapped in your comfort zone and fundamentally boring: Bikes = in the fresh air, exhilaration, acceleration, the frisson of danger, freedom and sheer fun. Combo's = terrible roadholding, manoeuvrability and the performance of a Reliant Robin. No, enjoy your modern Bonnie as as a solo, even if it's overweight and a bit lumpish. When you get fed up with it trade it in for a Ducati Monster or a Kawasaki Zephyr, or still better get a '60's Bonnie and experience the real thing!
itma

Post by itma »

Some folk love sidecars, gawd knows why, I scared my self sh!t witless on one once. [some would say i never recovered the wits] I had to fill the damn thing up with bricks to feel even a tad safe on it
It takes braver man than me to drive one.
I'd consult Hinckley as to the suitability of fitting a chair, bound to be an elf n saftey cum insurance angle to it all.
I seem to remember that the folding jobby worked a bit like an old fashioned clothes horse. I may have a pic somewhere.

If you want a really hairy outfit you should see some of the stuff the continentals drive, dont get in one though.
paultbird

Post by paultbird »

itma

Post by itma »

does nowt for me, I'm afraid. Interesting that it shows a Watsonian.......the above mentioned folding sidecar, according to geoff Brazendale's history of sidecars was made circa 1913 by the Patent Collapsible Sidecar Co.
Such a name did nothing for sales so it was changed to....Watsonian

dot and comma editEdited by - itma on 15 Nov 2008 5:21:31 PM
Daveski

Post by Daveski »

I had a 'real' Bonneville [T140] in the 70s, not a bad bike. but sorry It was nowhere near as good as the Hinckley T100. The current T100 is probably what a meriden bonneville would have grown into if they had not gone bust in 83. Daveski
1961 Matchless G2