Which tap is reserve?,

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Daveski

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by Daveski »

I think the RH tap is reserve but not 100% sure. Can anyone confirm this. [1961 G2]
Thanks, Daveski
1961 Matchless G2
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
Dougie

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by Dougie »

See "T"s answer to your enquiry of 30 Oct.

Come on now...
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
Chazzyb

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by Chazzyb »

I try to use the left hand tap as reserve. That way, I can turn it on while still holding the throttle wide open.
Charles
Daveski

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by Daveski »

So you can use either tap as reserve?, surely the tank will be empty if you use the wrong one - or am I missing something?
Daveski
1961 Matchless G2
chris kelly

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by chris kelly »

Hi,

For the 350 and 500 Singles Haycraft states , ''Both taps are of the horizontal - plunger type. As mentioned in a later paragraph, it is advisable normally to run with only the off side tap open. Refuelling should be undertaken as soon as possible after being forced to draw upon the reserve fuel supply. The reserve supply tap should then be shut immediately.''

Almost certain the Lightweight would follow this practice. As I remember my 1966 Lightweight followed this practice.
The 1960 Spares list shows the ''Reserve'' petrol tap number as 024201 for the G2 and G5

Roy Bacon states,'' The light singles used the existing range taps, so they had two of one type at first and a pair for 1960 reverting to one for 1963 onwards. The CS models............''

Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
Winkie

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by Winkie »

Most tanks trap a small amount of fuel either side of the central tunnel, so in theory either tap can be a reserve. Life is never that simple, however. Some bikes have variable intake level tubes in the taps so that one side will feed with a lower level of fuel in the tank than the other. With an old bike the chances are that the taps will have been changed at some time, so you will have to take them off to see what set up you have. Normally the left tap was coventionally the reserve, but without looking at your individual set up you cannot be certain.
deshollier
Deceased

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by deshollier »

When you are near empty, go for a run with the offside tap on and take a litre of petrol with you in a bottle. When it conks turn on the nearside tap and she should pick up again - if not botheration! they are the other way round - but no matter you have a litre of petrol! If they are right, DONT put the petrol in but note the mileometer reading and carry on till it conks again - then you will know just how far you can go on reserve, and believe me, it ain't very far! NOW you can put the petrol in!Edited by - deshollier on 18 Nov 2008 08:46:04 AM
davehutch

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by davehutch »

I have a G2 and the left is reserve. Put a gallon in your tank, pull both fuel lines off the carb place the right one in an empty container turn on tap until nothing comes out. Then do the same with the left this will show you.

Dave
----Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
mikeydpippin

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by mikeydpippin »

Daveski, Good question i think it's official LEFT is now the reserve, Thanks Mike
Mike
Daveski

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by Daveski »

Yes, it is the LH tap which is reserve. Removed the pipes and drained the RH side, turned on the LH tap and some more fuel came out, not much though, maybe 5-10 miles worth. I noticed quite a bit of seepage of petrol from somewhere along the Y shaped pipe, not an actual dripping, but wet to the touch and smelling of petrol. Should there be an O ring or something where the pipe screws on to the tap?, mine has nothing in there, although the taps have fibre washers where they screw into the tank. Also a fair bit of petrol inside the carb bellmouth.
Daveski
1961 Matchless G2