Which tap is reserve?,

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
alanjennings

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by alanjennings »

To get as low as "reserve" often ends in disaster!! Most Brit. bikes I have travelled on seem to do about 10-15 miles on reserve!! When I fill up I always turn the "trip" back to 0- you should know how far your bike goes on a full tank, and then hopefully you will never run out--I did say "hopefully" 'cause I had to push my Morini "dart" 2 miles last year--fortunately it is as light as a feather!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
clive

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by clive »

I have always used the off side as the main tap because that way I can look into the tanks through the petrol cap and see how much is left. If that was the other way round the blind side of the tank could be nearly dry and it would still look like there was a bit left in the reserve. I agree though that the best way is to know how far you go on a tankful an fill up before you run dry.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by Duncan »

Generally there is a larger cutaway on the underside of the petrol tank on the right hand/off/timing side to clear the tappet cover on the singles therefore there is more of a reserve held on the left/kerb/drive side, enough to be the difference between arriving running or pushing!
paul knapp

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by paul knapp »

On the earlier '50's machines,(and probably earlier), they left the factory with a small "RESERVE" transfer on the tank, just above the left hand fuel cock!
..don't know about later machines, tho.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Daveski

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by Daveski »

A reserve transfer did come with the 'set' I bought from the club [but it helps if you know which side to put it on!!] Now that I do know it will be fixed to the LH side of the tank so I need never forget.
Daveski.
1961 Matchless G2
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
mousey

Which tap is reserve?,

Post by mousey »

Best thing to do if you are not sure is to fill up on the turn of every 100 miles, eg on 21,300, then 21,400, (or as near as dammit to it) and so on. That way you will always know at a glance whether you are in danger of running out or not.
Grin and bare it!