G2 Cylinder Head Torque

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Daveski

G2 Cylinder Head Torque

Post by Daveski »

Hi All, Is the head torque 30 Lb/Ft on a G2?. I read it somewhere, wrote it down and put it somewhere 'safe'. So safe I cant find it and am not totally sure if it is 30, dont want to overtighten and strip any threads.
Cheers, UK Daveski
1961 Matchless G2
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
chris kelly

G2 Cylinder Head Torque

Post by chris kelly »

Hi,
The ' illustrated Instruction Book ' states , for refitting the cylinder head , 'First tighten the four sleeve nuts diagonally--- not one side at a time--- then tighten the long bolt, until all are firmly tightened.

If a torque spanner is available it should be set to 35 foot lbs. for the four sleeve nuts only'

On this site under 'Articles' on the Lightweight, the same torque setting is stated.

The long bolt , well , I over tightened mine a few years ago. It cost me a bit to have it sorted! I suppose the words 'firmly tightened' become clearer with experience.
Best wishes, Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
fishsponge

G2 Cylinder Head Torque

Post by fishsponge »

not that it necessarily helps, but the manual for my '66 G3 states exactly the same - "If a torque spanner is available it should be set to 35 foot lbs for the sleeve nuts only"...

As for the long bolt... i don't have one, so no idea i'm afraid!Edited by - fishsponge on 03 Sep 2008 09:47:28 AM
><> fishsponge <><

Take a look at my 1966 Matchless G3! :-)