Contact breaker back plate

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
davehutch

Post by davehutch »

Thanks G3 Bitsa, point taken I dont have to be that acurate.
Ken , like the idea of moving the advance unit not the backplate, I shell have to look in to this, Thanks
And Chris thanks I shall look at your idea as well.

Thanks all for you help DaveEdited by - davehutch on 02 Jan 2009 10:15:56 PM
----Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

I know what you mean Dave, I had the same problem with my G5, you only have to move the screws and the plate tilts a minute amount but alters the point gap by quite a bit. I found the answer trial and error, this I mean by checking the timing and if it's out identify which way to turn the base plate, then turn it a guessed amount, tighten and check the timing again. It might take a few attempts to get it right. I must admit I got fed up with this and fitted electronic ignition and haven't looked back, best thing I could have done and in the long run you get your money back as I found the CB points didn't last long and they are quite pricey.
When I mention this to some purist they make comments on originality, but I reply saying that you cannot see the change unless the cover is removed and anyway if electronic ignition was about when these bikes were new I'm sure they would have fitted them at the factory.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
davehutch

Post by davehutch »

quote:
I know what you mean Dave, I had the same problem with my G5, you only have to move the screws and the plate tilts a minute amount but alters the point gap by quite a bit. I found the answer trial and error, this I mean by checking the timing and if it's out identify which way to turn the base plate, then turn it a guessed amount, tighten and check the timing again. It might take a few attempts to get it right. I must admit I got fed up with this and fitted and haven't looked back, best thing I could have done and in the long run you get your money back as I found the CB points didn't last long and they are quite pricey.
When I mention this to some purist they make comments on originality, but I reply saying that you cannot see the change unless the cover is removed and anyway if electronic ignition was about when these bikes were new I'm sure they would have fitted them at the factory.

Thanks Tolly, can you point me in the right direction where to get electronic ignition from. It's nice to know someone understands where i am comming from
Cheers Dave
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

Hi Dave, I got mine from a local m/c garage that deals with old British bikes, Road Star they are from Dover, I'm also lucky in having the firm that makes them just 30 miles up the road. I bought a Boyer Bransden kit, here is there web address, if you look under dealers there may be one in your area.

http://www.boyerbransden.com/

Regards, Tolly

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
davehutch

Post by davehutch »

Cheers Mate !!