Burt Munro and "The World's Fastest Indian"

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
jonhal

Post by jonhal »

Good film, and for once a film anyone including non bikers can enjoy.
I remember reading about Burt Munro years ago but like a lot of things earlier than my era they dont sink in at the time I still smile at the 'spectacles etc bit'
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

I can only agree, great film! I love the part where the technical scrutineers check out his bald tyres, just before his record attempt. Reminds me of some people in here riding on same type of rubber! Oops!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Dougie

Post by Dougie »

A brilliant film! I saw it when it was first released in the UK and have seen it a few times since. Always a pleasure to watch and Anthony Hopkins (a British treasure) plays a good Burt Munroe.

On the Wall of Death thread I can strongly recommend anyone to watch Ken Fox and his family perform on the wall. The Ken Fox troupe now operate two walls but I have not yet seen the second one. Ken's wall was built by himself and it ran with sons Luke and Alex, Luke's girlfriend Kerrie, Ken's wife Julie in the pay booth and Neil Calladine, larger than life, as the spieler. I also saw Gerry DeRoy ride the wall at age 82! The oldest wall-rider in the world.

I have been inside the Wall of Death and even sat on Ken's Indian. The Fox family are the nicest people you could wish to meet.

It really is very best entertainment for £2 anywhere in the world!
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
jonhal

Post by jonhal »

We used to get to see the wall of death every year at out local St Giles Fair, great stuff. Mind you We saw a brilliant version in Shanghai last year. A wire globe with eight riders inside whirling about like an atom, incredible stuff
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

A wonderful film!! brings tears to me eyes!! When I was but a "grasshoper" my uncle took me and my cousin down to Southend from Tower Bridge on a PADDLESTEAMER!!-did the pier then watched a bloke do the wire globe trick-but only one at a time-not like our clever oriental cousins-8 at a time? wow!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
itma

Post by itma »

You can still go down the Thames on a paddle steamer,google Waverley.
It used to leave from Tower pier, but is now Greenwich I believe.
Still a good day out.
jonhal

Post by jonhal »

quote:
watched a bloke do the wire globe trick-but only one at a time-not like our clever oriental cousins-8 at a time? wow!!

I note the question mark Yes they really can do 8 at a time, part of a cabaret act at night with lights, never seen anything like it.