Starting my G2 CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

Starting my G2 CSR

Post by basketcase »

After a lengthy rebuild my `bike is an absolute swine to start. I`ve double checked everything, renewed both the jets and slide in the carb. New points, condensor, coil.....everything! I`ve set it all up as the manual instructs but the b****y thing still take an age to start. Once running it also idles poorly, could it be that the carb is too worn? I`ve also experienced poor starting when warm but that could be me, as if I hold open the throttle is usually starts ok. Any help/tellings off would be appreciated.
Cheers, basketcase.
Dougie

Starting my G2 CSR

Post by Dougie »

No help mate but, even after one year untouched my G2 starts first or second kick!

Wish my bloody G3 did...
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
smsxr05

Starting my G2 CSR

Post by smsxr05 »

As with G3 Bitsa my G2 starts readily, but it has got a brand new monoblock fitted. It may be worth the extra expense.
Sonof.
Don Madden

Starting my G2 CSR

Post by Don Madden »

Before messing too much with the carburetor, be sure of the ignition system. You posted that you replaced many of the parts but the functioning of the automatic advance & the timing are very critical to easy starting.
Cheers, Don.
chris kelly

Starting my G2 CSR

Post by chris kelly »

Hi,

Don't know what year your engine is but my 66 lightweight engine had the same sort of symptoms you describe and simply changing the plug FE 220 ( hot ? ) , the correct one, to FE 80( Cool ? ) the incorrect one, made all the difference. In other words the wrong plug worked better, which I put down to the engine being old . The other thing is ,the condensor, perhaps change that ,even though new. I found out they can be faulty.

Chris
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
basketcase

Starting my G2 CSR

Post by basketcase »

Cheers all, sorry for the delay in replying. I`ve tried another condensor but not a plug so I`ll try that before going down the carb route. Has anyone any experience with the guy who advertises in jampot? Carb recon for £60?
As previously stated I`ve replaced all the replaceable bits and set it as advised in the manual. Only thinking as to why my `bike won`t tick over very well.
Anxiously awaiting any replies, basketcase.