The "Dragon Rally"

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
bjork

The "Dragon Rally"

Post by bjork »

quote:
Is that the rally in Germany were you really do get a medal if you make it?

Well, it could be, last time I checked there were two Elephants each year! one in the Eifel area of Germany and another in Austria near the (I think) Czech border.
Last time I went it was at the Salzburgring. We dug holes in the metre or so of snow to erect tents, and then when we were all asleep it rained, thawed the piles of snow next to the tents and we all woke up in 3" of water! I was shivering for the next 8hrs, till we arrived at the house of some relatives of one of our party. They took all 9 of us in, thawed/showered/bathed us back to life, then gave us clean overalls that belonged to their workshop staff. Then they wined and dined us, gave us a bed for the night (Each, it was a very big house) and wouldn't take a pfennig in payment. All our clothes were dried in the boiler house of the workshops and our bikes were even parked in there overnight! When I woke and opened the window shutters there was the magnificent view of the Alps, Berchtesgaden and deer.
So whilst that was my only experience of hypothermia, I'd definitely risk it again-I got the badge still! And I will know to take a camp bed that lifts me off the ground next time.
Oh, yes. My bike (a T140V)was the only one that made it back under it's own steam well, apart from the Bm's of course, but that doesn't count

The reason for two rallies? it seems the original organisation packed up, the BVDM (sort of German BMF) took it over, then some entusiasts started what they considered a more 'true' Elephant. A kind of Alternative Elefant perhaps.Edited by - bjork on 07 Feb 2009 9:13:57 PM
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today