fluctuating battery voltage G2

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
paul miles

Post by paul miles »

Hi all,
After changing my battery I thought I would double check the voltage across the battery with the bike running, oh dear!... not to stable.
On tickover it fluctuates wildly between 6 & 10 volts all the time,increasing the engine speed of the bike doesn`t make much difference,the ammeter shows a charge of about 1 - 2 amps when riding,slightly more when the lights are on, now as an owner of several Jap bikes I know that voltage is usually stable around a couple of volts above the normal battery output, is this also the case with Brit singles????
If it is the same, would I be right in saying that the regulator may be playing up? possibly dodgy earth or poor wiring connection... etc etc etc
Your views and help as always is most welcome
Regards
paul M
robot
Deceased

Post by robot »

My Model 14 suffers in a similar manner. Ticks over with about 2 amps showing, then when riding goes up to 4 amps charge and I can only bring it back to 1 or 2 amps by riding with the lights on. Mine has a 12v conversion and it's never been Ok since the modificatiom. At the moment, I just put up with it. I have checked the voltage and like yours, it's all over the place. No hel, I know but one does require somewhere to vent one's frustration!!

Robot
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Digital meters usually respond to even brief flunctuations causing the display to vary. I keep an old fashioned analog meter for such measurements as they damp out the variations. But don't rest any analog meter on the bike while taking readings or the vibration will create havoc with galvenometer movements.

Make sure you have good contact with the probes. First across the battery terminals, then the wires, & finally to the frame & rectifier output. Differences in reading can indicate poor connections.

Cheers, Don.
Dougie

Post by Dougie »

Paul, another tip is not to take readings from a freshly charged battery. You shoud always let it "rest" for 24 hours after charging before attempting to take readings.
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
paul miles

Post by paul miles »

Cheers guys for all your help, I think I will get an analogue meter as well, Why do we always buy the most accurate meter possible to read something then wonder what the hell its telling us cos its so damn accurate Doh!!!
Regards
Paul M