G2 leaking petrol pipes

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Daveski

G2 leaking petrol pipes

Post by Daveski »

Having found that petrol is leaking from somewhere I set about trying to trace the leak. The tank is fine, I dismantled and greased the taps and rebuilt them. The petrol pipes look like they may be the problem [not much else left]. They are quite complicated for a simple part [everything is over-complicated on my G2 as I am finding]
There are 3 pipes joined by brass fittings which seem to be a sealed for life affair, I cant see any way of dis-assembling the pipes to find the fault.Where the pipes screw on to the petrol taps there are no o rings or seals that I can see. Should there be some in there?, or would some grease help seal the leak?, or should I just buy a new complete petrol pipe? [if they are still available]. Any tips or advice is appreciated as the wife is going mad at me stinking of petrol.
Daveki
1961 Matchless G2
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
jonhal

G2 leaking petrol pipes

Post by jonhal »

I am assuming the pipes have the crimped on ferrel ends (correct spelling?) These can be obtained nearly anywhere, need a crimping tool to fit to the pipes. Or you could disregard these and use screw up hose clamps, not standard but they won't leak! Try plumbers ptf tape on the threads.Edited by - jonhal on 19 Nov 2008 09:05:31 AM
crawsue

G2 leaking petrol pipes

Post by crawsue »

Nice ,new,rubber hose attatched by small screw tight circlips will do the business,unless of course you are going down the concours route?
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Daveski

G2 leaking petrol pipes

Post by Daveski »

Thanks for the replies, yes it is a ferrel type pipe. I am not a concours type but would like to retain original parts if possible. I have tried putting copper slip on the threads to see if it works. I tried plummers tape but just seemed to get chewed up during tightening..
1961 Matchless G2
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
jonhal

G2 leaking petrol pipes

Post by jonhal »

quote:
I tried plummers tape but just seemed to get chewed up during tightening..

Wind it on in the thread direction!! honest
rgregory

G2 leaking petrol pipes

Post by rgregory »

quote:
I tried plummers tape but just seemed to get chewed up during tightening..

PTFE fine particles might get into the jets.

There is a Loctite hydraulic thread sealant, but really the taper or ferrule should be checked if you have to wind the thread up tight.

Cheers,

Rob