Australian Fires

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Dougie

Australian Fires

Post by Dougie »

quote: Apparently the Queen has donated money and I'm sure others from UK also.

The Queen donates our money!! We pay her!
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
Tonker

Australian Fires

Post by Tonker »

quote:
quote: Apparently the Queen has donated money and I'm sure others from UK also.

The Queen donates our money!! We pay her!

Here , Australians have donated $50,000,000 so far for
our fellow Australians . We thank Her Majesty for her
donation. And thanks for helping Her make it possible Bitsa !
Mallet

Australian Fires

Post by Mallet »

Her we go again,the Queens money is our money crap again!
The Civil List is approximately £15 million from the treasury.
Her private estates have an income of approximately £100 million a year which goes straight into the Treasury & has done since Queen Victoria's time.The Queen might own this property but she does'nt see a penny of the revenue,it was voluntarily given to the government long ago.
And people whine about the civil list? Bottler McBrown has got us into a trillion debt & we've got to pay it off.
Compared to that,the Queen is extreme value for money!!
But it show's what kind of person she really is that she would donate money to help any & all of her people!!!
Born Hampshire, Ride Hampshire!
paul knapp

Australian Fires

Post by paul knapp »

One of the large fires burning since early February was finally brought under control this week with the help of the Americans who sent a heavy lift transport 'plane over here, loaded with fire retardant chemical.
I believe there are still several smaller fires still burning in inaccessible scrub.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Don Madden

Australian Fires

Post by Don Madden »

We have a DC-10 fitted for fire retardant. Was it that one? Glad we could be of some help in that terrible situation.

We had a similar fire season a couple of years ago with 5 firefighters killed by an arsonist set fire. He was caught, convicted of capitol murder, & received a death sentance yesterday. I hope you catch your local terrorists & apply appropriate punishment. I suggest roasting slowly on a spit.

Cheers, Don.
paul knapp

Australian Fires

Post by paul knapp »

They did not elaborate on type of aircraft it was, only being of a large 'plane fully loaded with the retardant.
The catostropic fire in which over 200 persons perished, one thousand houses lost, has just been contained this week, and there are now only four major ones still burning.

Mr. Raymond Lee Oyler has made it in todays papers here.

Most fires here are attributed to lightening strikes, and with the tinder dry scrub coupled with the oil filled Gum trees, it doesn't take much to send the whole lot up.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

poplargreg

Australian Fires

Post by poplargreg »

Below is part of an email I received today from a customer -

"Thanks for your thoughts.
The fires were the largest ever seen in Victoria and almost everyone knows of people who have been directly affected.
My Brother in law's Sister and Husband lived in Marysville, once a very pretty country town in a beautiful natural bush area. They were away visting relatives in another town on that day, and have not yet returned. They lost everything except the clothes the had with them and their car. They also lost 4 of their friends from Marysville.
The breeders of my dog, a pyranean mountain dog, had a 70 acre property at St Andrews just a few kilometres from Kinglake, also a very beautiful area. They lost all their dogs except 1, 28 of them, they lost 30 goats out of 33, 1 horse out of 4, and 5 cars out of 5, their house, outbuildings, fences, pumps and piping, and everything else except their lives. They both were taken to hospital with burns, David having his bald patch on the back of his head being increased in area, and Vivian with third degree burns to her left arm and second degree burns to the left side of both knees, and minor burns to the lower part of left leg. David released from hospital in a day but Viv was kept in for 3 days.
They are now starting to re-build both their lives and their property.
I myself had a 1941 Norton Big 4 motor cycle at Kinglake West, just 2 months from completion of restoration, that I had searched for, for 18 months, and spent 8 years restoring. I am now looking for another period bike to push a 1936 Swallow sidecar around that I have been restoring for 10-11 yers.