Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
itma

Non starting G2 - New owner seeks help.

Post by itma »

be no one left here on that ruling
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

True...now about that bottle....................
Chemists do it with test tubes
mn757

Post by mn757 »

Well, I can see my lack of garage access has caused some amusement! To be fair, I've spent far to much time in there rebuilding my car engine, so I have to be careful. Only so far I can go!

Anyway, It's still not starting having replaced all ignition components and tried the other suggestions. I'm going to take the carb apart tomorrow (garage access already confirmed!) and see if there's anything obvious there.

Thanks for all the tips so far, this forum seems much more useful than others i'm a member of.

I'll let you know how I get on.

mn757
chris kelly

Post by chris kelly »

Hi,

On your carb, is the closed position on the petrol tap actually working ?

I've got (Motor Cycle 2nd January 1964 ) ''Fettling AJS and Matchless Matchless Service Shop Lore No 13 '' lots of hints etc, but the writer has pointed out, ''With the downdraught carburettors such as fitted to these models it is absolutely essential to turn off the petrol whenever the engine is stopped for any length of time.
If this is not done there is a chance that fuel will trickle down the induction tract into the combustion chamber. Besides making the engine difficult to start there have been cases where oil dilution has reached such proportions as to cause under lubrication.''

On ignition timing ( similar to what Ken says above ) the article states,'' Always set the ignition timing with the automatic device in the full advance position. The bob - weights ( and hence the cam) can be levered to full advance with a screwdriver through the hole in the contact breaker back plate. But it is difficult to hold the weights in that position while setting the timing. The drill , therefore. is to lock the cam on full advance. To do this you remove the securing bolt and thread on to it a 3/ 16 thick collar counter bored to clear the spindle end and bear against the cam.Then holding the bob weights at full advance with the screwdriver, you have only to tighten the bolt lightly to lock the cam against the spindle shoulder behind it. Both hands are then free to move the back plate carefully in its slotted mountings until the points are just beginning to separate when the piston is correctly positioned in the cyclinder.
Once the two screws retaining the plate have been tightened and the setting finally rechecked, the COLLAR should be removed and the centre bolt refitted and tightened.''

This article makes it clear it applies to all the earlier two - fifties.

Oh, nothing to do with what we are talking about, but maybe check your generator leads some time, This article states, ...''there is an important point to watch when reconnecting the leads from the alternator to rectifier . These pass through the back of the primary chaincase and the three snap connectors lay on top of the gear box under the cover plate. The leads should be routed so that they pass under the rear of the left gear box mounting plate . If the leads pass over the top they can work into a position where they will be abraded by the rear chain .''
Goodness knows , on my lightweight , when I had it , my leads, as previously fitted by an earlier owner were in very close proximity to the upper primary chain . No wonder this article is pointing out where they should actually go !

Best wishes, Chris..
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
mn757

Post by mn757 »

Hi, Been away from web for a while, but just wanted to thank everyone for their advice re my starting problems. Having exhausted all ideas, I took the bike to the local Honda dealer (in my defence, they were within pushing distance) and they couldn't get it running either.

However, they did say the spark wasn't strong enough, and they suspected a wiring fault. I collected the bike last week but only had a chance to look at it again today, and after replacing the wiring connector under the central 'bridge' piece, it started easily.

I picked up some great tips from here along the way, so thanks - just glad to have it running now!

Martin.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Just in time for the good weather,enjoy the summer.
Chemists do it with test tubes