Oiling Problem

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
freddie 136

Oiling Problem

Post by freddie 136 »

Thanks Don for the info,nice and easy to understand.Yes it looks like the heads are going to have to come off so i can take a look. I did say in my first post that it was a [G11,600 twin] but forgot to put the year,sorry, it's a 1958. If i decide to have the oil pump refurbed do you know of any on who does this work or who you could recommend,thanks Fred
deshollier
Deceased

Oiling Problem

Post by deshollier »

AMC Classic Spares will provide a refurbished one but at the last time of asking did not require the old one as they had so many - but that may have changed.
Don Madden

Oiling Problem

Post by Don Madden »

AMC Classic Spares sounds like the way to go. Nice people who love our old AMC nails.

I forgot to mention above that the oil pressure relief valve was not fitted from 1956-69, so no G11/30 has one. As you have oil to the bottom end, you can start checking from the filter. Loosen the cap on the exhaust cam & check for oil escape. It will have full oil pressure there. You could remove the cap with the engine stopped to inspect the distributor & compare with the correct type.

Next would be the crankcase bolt, which should have a special sealing washer, a rubber seal bonded to the ID. I would run the engine briefly & stop it, then loosen the bolt as you do not want to unseal the crankcase joint. There should be low volume intermittant flow there due to the rotary distributor. You could temporarily replace the sealing washer with a split lock which will leak any oil under pressure.

I will wager that you find Ken's favorite bodge, excess sealer on head or cylinder joints which got into the oilways.

Cheers, Don.
itma

Oiling Problem

Post by itma »

quite right

the place for excess silicone is Jordans chest
Groily

Oiling Problem

Post by Groily »

Is there any more room? I've still got the odd tube without the boob? Happy to do a deal as long as I can do the squeezing.
orbinrangle

Oiling Problem

Post by orbinrangle »

Squeezing such things is rather like driving a Lexus sports car--it looks like one and goes like one but we all know it's not really genuine. And that makes it unsatisfying.
I'd rather drive real sports cars, even if they're a bit smaller.
R J Rawle
orbinrangle

Oiling Problem

Post by orbinrangle »

Especially when the on board computer has so few bytes.
R J Rawle
itma

Oiling Problem

Post by itma »

I'm missing out on something here I reckon
arsey30

Oiling Problem

Post by arsey30 »

quote:
Thanks for you reply, the bike has done about forty mile since the rebuild, bike has not done more than 35/40 mph during this time, i wouldn't have thought this was to much for a 600cc,any way thanks for your help cheers Fred

p.s.would the pistons getting tight in the barrels stop the oil from getting to the tappets, cheers.

I rode 10,000 miles with no oil feed to the valve gear on one cylinder without problems.
Dave.
wilko

Oiling Problem

Post by wilko »

Yes, sidevalve singles dont need head lubrication!!