What engine

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Dfor

What engine

Post by Dfor »

Hi all,

I've just acquired a 1957 AJS twin that has had a replacement engine fitted and I was wondering whether anyone could tell me what engine it is.

The Frame No of the bike is 08304 and the original engine (which came with the bike but is in bits) is 60/2052461. The engine that is now fitted is numbered G12 CSR/x9566.

Although I've had many british bikes over the years this is my first AJS.

Thanks in advance,

Dfor.
wilko

What engine

Post by wilko »

The numbers are close to mine which would make the original motor roughly '63 650. The other speaks for itself except for capacity.
robf1961

What engine

Post by robf1961 »

hi Keith
congrats on your first AJS/Matchless. My Matchless has proved much more reliable (and therefore more fun!) than much later trumps and beezers I've owned/currently have.
The engine no denotes G12 (Matchless G12 - 650 twin), CSR the competition/sports road version (would have originally had a 2 into 1 exhaust) the corresponding AJS would be a model 31. Check out 'club/the bikes' on the menu bar
I'm not a million mile away in Chesterfield so if you ever fancy a run out gizza shout......I usually head into the peaks but an eastward run would make a change

bob

What engine

Post by bob »

Hi Keith & Rob
Glad to see we have another AJS/Matchless owner in Doncaster ,
I live close to the town centre ,near the racecourse . so if you fancy we could meet up sometime , somewhere .
either Email or my numbers is in the local Phonebook .
Rob , if you do come this way same applies .
I actually get to Chesterfield regularly on business ( North Wingfield , Lower Pilsley , Grassmoor Areas ).Near you ? .

Dfor

What engine

Post by Dfor »

Hi Rob/Bob

Thanks for the replies. The bikes not quite roadworthy just yet, it's not been used for over 20 years and needs the electrics sorting out plus a full check of everything else.

Still interested to know date of the CSR engine if anyone can tell me.

Keith.
les ward

What engine

Post by les ward »

As Wilko says current motor is from 1963. Original motor is from a 1960 AJS Model 20 (500cc twin).

Frame number doesn't sound right. Numbers starting with a zero are casting/part numbers.Up to 1957 frame numbers are under the seat, on the right, on the lug. After that they are on the front, right, downtube. For 1957 the number can be in either place.From May 1953 on road frame numbers start with an A. For 1957 I would expect a 5 digit number starting with A5, such as A51234 etc

Regards,
Les Ward
Machine dating OfficerEdited by - les ward on 26 Jul 2009 2:36:58 PM