dynamo

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
robf1961

dynamo

Post by robf1961 »

the dynamo on my '55 G9 has been tempramental and now stopped charging, so I've taken cover off to clean everything/checked brushes which don't look worn. The grommet had perished so I'm hoping its just got a bit mucky inside.
However I notice that there is a pinhole in the cover, with pitting around it on the inside. It looks like damage Ive seen on metal when something is arcing - is this possible on a dynamo and if so, is there any obvious cause?
model26

dynamo

Post by model26 »

The pin hole should be on the underside of the cover, and is there to let moisture out.
wilko

dynamo

Post by wilko »

If your ammeter has been sitting on a high charge for too long then you might have thrown the solder on the commutator. Many an armature could have been saved if people watched their charge rate and kept their regulators regulating.
SPRIDDLER

dynamo

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob
If you use the Forum search facility at the top of this page: 'Forum', then choose 'Search Forums' and by entering 'Dynamo' and it'll come up with loadsa info and test procedures like this:

http://www.edknet.de/Download/LUCAS%20G ... .pdfEdited by - SPRIDDLER on 26 Aug 2009 12:36:09 AM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
robf1961

dynamo

Post by robf1961 »

thanks