G12csr headlight

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
alan humphrey

G12csr headlight

Post by alan humphrey »

Can anyone out there tell me what headlight i should have for a 1961 G12csr. (i belive it takes the speedo amp meter and switch)and maybe an idear where i might get one.thanks alan.
Don Madden

G12csr headlight

Post by Don Madden »

Home market & export except USA version had the SSU700P headlamp with the speedometer inset. Also they had the touring, (4gal?), fuel tank.

USA version had the chrome plated SS700P not pierced for the speedometer, which mounted on the handle bar lug. They were fitted with the 3gal. competition tank. I can send pics of mine if interested.

Cheers, Don.
GOLDSTAR

G12csr headlight

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Hi Don, I would like to see a 3 gallon comp petrol tank, I have a 2 gallon on my G80CS which I use mostly at the moment for rally's etc and is a constant worry about finding filling stations Kind regards
Don Madden

G12csr headlight

Post by Don Madden »

The 3gal comp tank was popular on our desert sleds as the events were often hundreds of miles across barren terrain even if you did not get lost, which was easy in those days without GPS. Pit stops were placed at intervals but were of no use if lost. An amusing sequence of "On Any Sunday" was the lost desert rider who sloshed fuel from his tank to create a smoke column but did not move the bike far enough away, resulting in a fireball.

I have a spare 3gal tank for my G80TCS to extend the range but do not intend to use it off-road anymore.

If anyone has a correct tank with badges for my 1962 G80 touring I will swap a chrome/red 4gal G15CS tank or a 1960-61 G12CSR 3gal comp tank.

Cheers, Don.
alan humphrey

G12csr headlight

Post by alan humphrey »

thanks don, that gives me the no that i was after ssu700p . pics of yours will not help me as mine would have been home market but thanks for the offer regards alan.
RogerNorman

G12csr headlight

Post by RogerNorman »

If you do need one, I should hold tight. At JSL we are very close to commissioning a batch of new Comp Tanks and they will be the bigger tanks for the Twins initially. If we get enough interest we may be able to accelerate the purchase by taking advanced orders with a deposit. Our restriction at the moment is the usual - available cashflow