fork oil

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin

fork oil

Post by 1608 »

Thers always plenty of discusson and advice on engine oils but little on fork grade oils.My recently acquired G12 has very light,but not particulary bouncy front forks ) by comparison to my 500 18.Are there any wise words on experimenting away from the manuals guidance of SAE 20.
Learned advice appreciated.
Eric

fork oil

Post by Eric »

I guess the reason you don't hear much about fork oils is because there is little or no contention. Thicker oil gives more damping thinner oil is less damping.

Now if you want to get something going how about the idea of multigrade oils and the effect of those in hot & cold countries.

Its not a complete wind up I think I have used Duckhams Q20/50 in my forks without any surprises, when I didn't have anything else around at the time, seems to work fine.
ajs58norton74

fork oil

Post by ajs58norton74 »

Being in a rush and unable to buy any 20W locally in Raleigh NC I tried 20W/50 but it was too thick and made the ride very harsh. I then searched the web and found Maxima Fork Oil 20W which has transformed the ride. I guess those who wrote the manual knew a thing or two.