Twin internal oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
wilko

Twin internal oil filter

Post by wilko »

Was i imagining that someone mentioned shortening the ends of a Triumph Trident paper type filter to replace the felt type in our twins?
GSAX1

Twin internal oil filter

Post by GSAX1 »

I've done that wilko. There is a thread here about it somewhere. However the filter fits inside the tank cavity, not the engine one.

Michael
GSAX1

Twin internal oil filter

Post by GSAX1 »

ianselva: Both caps must move freely inside the filter tunnel, or else the "clogged filter" safety feature will not function.

It seems many don't understand how the pre-56 oiling system works:

Oil enters the tunnel at the timing end. In the timing end is also the pressure pop-off valve. If oil pressure is too high, it pushes this valve out towards the timing cover, and oil squirts out to the timing side, relieving the pressure.

If filter gets clogged, oil pressure pushes it against the spring that is in the filter's end cap, towards the drive side. This opens up the hole in the bottom (timing side) cap of the filter, and oil goes straight inside the filter without being filtered. If the caps are tight in the tunnel this will not function properly.

The ball and spring inside the large cap screw that is at the drive side is not a pressure pop-off valve. It's there to prevent wet sumping. If the ball or spring is missing or not seating properly oil can pass to the main oil gallery and go down to the sump.

Michael
ianselva

Twin internal oil filter

Post by ianselva »

Thanks for that info ,I had already decided to re-fit the filter once I get the missing end cap. Then I can press on with getting the motor running and see what to do with the bike - restore or sell .

Cheers

Ian