OIL PUMP HELP.

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
imack56

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by imack56 »

Hi,
I'm preparing for the rebuild of my model 30 engine, and wish to make some engineering improvements especially in the oil pump department.Ive read all the technical articles all with great interest. The two that catch my eye are : using later model large capacity pumps and fitting a Morgo rotary oil pump by Jorg Henze.
Does any members have an experience with either of these modification, or any other oil pump improvements.
Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated

From down under...........Iain
Malleon

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by Malleon »

G'day, Iain,
I have used a Betzmeier pump on my '58 G11, but it was too good !! A timing chest pressure relief valve is essential if you fit one of these, but it was certainly efficient at circulating SAE 50 et al. I don't expect a Mod.30 to have a relief valve as standard since they were discontinued for 3 or 4 years. There is more info. on these pumps in the technical tips.
wilko

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by wilko »

The pressure relief valve is located in the pump body for the double capacity version.
imack56

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by imack56 »

Thanks Malcolm, I'm off to a good start, but could you or any other members supply more technical detailed about the modification eg.there to obtain the pump,is it a bolt on job or are modification necessary.
No one has mention the Morgo rotary pump convention,is this because it is a difficult replacement to do?

Thanks............Iain
imack56

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by imack56 »

One more query about oil pumps; do later model twins oil pump have a larger pumping capacity; and if so does it require any modification.
Ta.
ajscomboman

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by ajscomboman »

Iain, try contacting Ray Spencer ray@multiplan.fsnet.co.uk He overhauls oil pumps making new gears and fitting relief valves etc.
imack56

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by imack56 »

Thanks Rob
mikek1980

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by mikek1980 »

i recently had my pumps rebuilt for my 54 G9 by Ray Spencer, and they work amazing. it reduced my wet sumping by about 99%. its well worth the expense.
Eric

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by Eric »

AMC had as many different ideas on oiling modifications as there are days in the year. Larger capacity pumps was one of them, probably taken from racing, but they can create a host of problems that don't otherwise exist because its possible to have too much of a good thing. As mike1980 has said standard pumps in good working order will do all that you want.
wilko

OIL PUMP HELP.

Post by wilko »

The double capacity pumps give more flow for cooling. My pressure release valve lets go at 60psi so it doesn't really matter which pumps you use.