Smokey Rebuild

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
bobber

Smokey Rebuild

Post by bobber »

Hi, I've finally finished rebuilding a G5 and started it today. It starts first kick but it's smoking like crazy and think this might be because the rings haven't bedded in. Of more concern is that, with the oil filler cap removed, I can't see any oil squirting back into the oil tank. Also, I put 2 1/2 pints of oil into the oil tank and according to my manual, the oil level shold be approx 1 inch below the filler cap but it's about 3 inches below. Anybody got any ideas what's happening?
Eric

Smokey Rebuild

Post by Eric »

If no oil is returning then its still all in the crankcase, this will smother the cylinder bore with so much oil the rings will have no chance of clearing it away so that's more then likely why its smoking. So the problem is trying to find out why the oil is not returning. Check through everything to do with the pump sorry cant help with the G5.

Smokey Rebuild

Post by 1608 »

Think Eric is probably right, it seems like the oil pump return isn't functiong.Either blockage or pump internals.I have a similar problem on my G12, in that the return pump is very reluctatant but, does kick in eventually after the oil tank has half emptied and then continues ok. I believe it is the self priming blocked.I don't know what the set up is on the G5 though ,sorry.
bobber

Smokey Rebuild

Post by bobber »

I wonder if I've let the bike run long enough to allow the pump to start working properly; I've only run it for a couple of minutes at a time by which time I could barely see let alone breath in the garage. Is it worth running it for longer or is this a gamble not worth taking?

Smokey Rebuild

Post by 1608 »

If you filled all oilways, bearings and shells etc. prior to the initial start-up then there should be enough oil about to enable a safe start up but don't rev too hard.The fact that there is plenty of burnt oil indicates there is enough there.Its surprising how long it takes sometimes for the oil to initially return to the tank.First start-up is often smokey
bobber

Smokey Rebuild

Post by bobber »

Thanks for the advice, I'll sleep on it and take the plunge tomorrow.