Lightweight Gearbox Re-build

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
patchy-man

Post by patchy-man »

I`m in the process of re-building a replacement gearbox for my 1960 AJS Model 8, which at the moment has a slight whine from third gear, and will not hold the recommended three pints of oil, due to a leaking mainshaft oil seal.

The gearbox I have obtained, is from a 1961 Matchless G5. I have stripped the gearbox, and after inspection, looks to be in very good order, except for second gear ( Part number 041277 ), which is unfortunatley not available from JSL, Russells or Andrews.

I would be grateful for any help in sourcing this part
"How many is too many"
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

AMC Spares would be your best bet.
patchy-man

Post by patchy-man »

Many thanks, I have e mailed AMC Classic Spares, with the part number, asking for a new or good used second gear. Hopefully it will be good news ?
"How many is too many"
wilko

Post by wilko »

Strange how 3rd gear seems to be the whingeing culprit on all sorts of manufacturers gearboxes. Any theories anyone?
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Gets a load of stick for overtaking acceleration and a high load when changing down for engine braking???
patchy-man

Post by patchy-man »

Success!! Excellent service from Steven at AMC Classic Spares. Received my very good used second gear today.

I have re-newed the bearings in the process of the gearbox re-build, and now need to know the trick or secret of how to fit the Output Shaft/Top Gear into the new bearing.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated
"How many is too many"
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

By output/top gear I'm assuming you are refering to the sleeve gear. It should just slip straight in onto the rollers. If however it's too tight it's because the roller bearing is not correct. I had this problem before and found the rollers in the replacement were too large. I had to replace it with a NOS bearing, but I can't remember where I got it from.
patchy-man

Post by patchy-man »

Yes you are right, having just tapped out the new bearing from the gearbox casing. After close inspection your theory seems to be correct. Back to my local bearing supplier tommorow. Many thanks for your help
"How many is too many"