MODEL 14 CSR CLUTCH / PRIMARY CHAIN

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
DAN696

Post by DAN696 »

I'am rebuilding an engine for a freind that i didn't strip and i have got to fitting the clutch and duplex primary chain and the chain rubs on inner chain case the drawing i have shows a single chain am i missing a spacer or somthing any help greatly appriecated
cheers dan
DAN
wilko

Post by wilko »

I can only see an exploded view of the '59 14 which shows a single chain.How much clearance do you need? A spacer doesn't show on the 59 drawing but maybe the dual chain setup requires one.Not much on later CSR models is there!
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I'm currently rebuilding a 14CSR, mine has a spacer behind the crank sprocket.
The exploded view that I'm working from shows part no. 041091 but I can't find any record of it in my parts list.
Without it the chain fouls against the inner chain case.
wilko

Post by wilko »

There's usually some sort of spacer behind any pommy bike concerning the engine sprocket, but i assumed he meant behind the clutch basket?
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Check out the technical article in the archives by Ivor Senator from Feb '87; he says there are two types of chaincase and the duplex drive CSRs need a different one from the single chain versions! My CSR has a chaincase without any badges or 'stripes' on it and it seems to work without any spacers (I say seems to because it is not yet quite a runner).
Home >> Articles >> Technical Tips >> Singles >> Lightweights