G2 Torque settings

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
mn757

G2 Torque settings

Post by mn757 »

Hi all, i'm in the process of rebuilding my G2 after a chunk of the conrod disappeared and the big end disintegrated into lots of pieces.

I've been reading though numerous manuals but can't find any torque figures for the following;

1). Clutch retaining bolt (The one that rod passes through)
2). Alternator rotor (crank n/s)
3). crank o/s (timing gear).

Any ideas or suggestions greatly welcomed

thanks

Martin.

beesy

G2 Torque settings

Post by beesy »

i don't think there are any recommended torque settings, i've also looked all over for my model 8.

the only one i can find is for the cylinder head, 35 ft/lbs - and then only 'if a tourque spanner is available'

you'll just have to judge it by hand - good luck!
mn757

G2 Torque settings

Post by mn757 »

Hi - Thanks for your reply. At least I know not to look for something that doesn't seem to exist! I'll just be careful and maybe check them from time to time. Thanks, Martin.
Don Madden

G2 Torque settings

Post by Don Madden »

The traditional British engineer or fitter did not need a torque wrench as they learned how to spanner the bikes without. A guide is to use a good set of Whitworth combination spanners with box & open ends. Whenever the box end will go over the fastner, use it in preference to the open end. If you use the proper tool, the length will be appropriate for the torque needed, smaller sizes being shorter with less leverage. With multiple fastners for a part, snug them all down, but not tight first, starting near the center & working out. Go around again, getting all firm, then again to get all tight. Tight means reasonable force on the spanner. If you feel pain in you fingers, it is probably too much. Spannering is an art that must be learned but working with an experienced mate will aid.

Please chime in here, Ken, to correct my comments or add to them as you see fit. Your bottle of red awaits,

Cheers, Don.
MikeM.

G2 Torque settings

Post by MikeM. »

I take it it's a Californian Red Don?
Malleon

G2 Torque settings

Post by Malleon »

You mustn't take it, Mike, it is reserved for Ken
Don Madden

G2 Torque settings

Post by Don Madden »

Even the French think California wines are excellent but they have probably not been exposed to our "Dago Red". Cheers, Don.