Matchless G2 pops out of first gear

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martijn447

Post by Martijn447 »

My newly purchased 1963 Matchless G2 pops out of 1st gear everytime I try to ride away. The problem is not present when riding away in second gear, but that's not really easy. Rest of the gears are fine. With the bike on the stand, everything seems fine, and it stays in first gear nicely, but of course then there's no load on the back wheel.

Can anyone tell me the cause of this problem, or where to look first.

regards
Martijn.
alfie

Post by alfie »

sounds like a g/box strip to me, unless the lever is fouling and not going in gear
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Simple fix this one. Best if done if bike is on side stand as the gears stay in place. After removing the g/box end cover and inner cover, slip a .020" washer over the layshaft between first gear pinion and the kickstart bush. Replace the 2 end plate gaskets and refit the end covers.
Martijn447

Post by Martijn447 »

thanks so far. I guess it isn't the lever because it's going fine in first gear. Problem is it doesn't stay there when clutch is released, then it pops into neutral.

I will have a look at the g/box strip first, if that looks good, I'm going the route ajscomboman suggests.
keithm

Post by keithm »

ive got a g2csr and just spent £60 on all the bushes in the gear box,and jumps out of 2 gear,has any body got any answers
k marchant