exhaust pipe rubbing

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Eric

exhaust pipe rubbing

Post by Eric »

Sorry that is just a general pretty picture of your bike. To try and help with your problem a close up showing the misalignment is essential and still may mean we cant help.

From a quick comparison to my bike the front bracket on the pipe does seem to be too far toward the rear of the bike, that's why you have to have the pipe half and inch out to line things up, but that's just based upon the one general picture.

Because the pipe is also fouling on the primary chaincase it suggests the pipe is not correct its almost as though it has been cut too short on the end that enters the cylinder head. Could someone have modified it before you purchased the bike or did you buy the pipes for it? I would suggest that if the latter you go back to your supplier.

The pipe does only just clear the chaincase when correctly installed so the difference between fouling and fitting correctly is probably only about 3/16".

One solution maybe to cut 1/4" from the tail end of the pipe where it enters the silencer and get this carefully welded onto the end that fits into the cylinder head. The weld would have to be well done and dressed back to be perfectly smooth with the rest of the pipe so that it still fits, but the join would be hidden away.

What's the other side of the bike like? Does the front bracket line up there?Edited by - Eric on 13 Oct 2010 2:57:34 PM
greasemonkey62

exhaust pipe rubbing

Post by greasemonkey62 »

I will put another close up pic of the pipe to chaincase on the pics there and no neither side bracket will fit, I think it may be as said that the pipes are poor fitting pattern ones, they were on when I bought the bike, I have a couple of 3/4 inch strips of steel I am going to make two U shaped brackets for the forward bottom mountings, the pipes are too good just to discard as yet, I have made up a short almost unnoticable extension strip for the nearside silencer mount to make it about 3/4 inch lower and the pipe no longer touches the chaincase now still close at 1/4 inch clearance but no danger of the chaincase being holed now. thanks to all, cheers Ray.