A hole that shouldn't be there!!!

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I'm after some advice from the learned people on this invaluable site, on my Matchless G5 I have a 5/16 threaded hole in the crankcase, halfway down, below the oil filler, my theory is previous butcher, sorry owner drilled this hole to extract the oil pump, should I leave it and put a shiny bolt in it, or fill it with some liquid metal filler. If I knew how to post a photo I would, need help there too.
Your thoughts and ideas would be gratefully received. and a Happy New Year to all
Regards
Colin

only dead fish go with the flow
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

if there is no pressure here, and the hole is already threaded I would be inclined to use a cap head grub screw, if that is the correct terminology for one, locktite it in, not permanent but would liquid metal filler be any better? if the hole was'nt already threaded I would think a little further. kind regards
Gerard Harrison

Post by Gerard Harrison »

There are folks out there who can do magic in making bad ideas and occurrences in metal go away.

I had an Atlas engine with a large hole punched out of the rear of the left side crankcase on a P11 (of course it HAD to be the serial number side)...some prior owner sent a big-end loose

I discovered the liquid metal repair after I scraped the thick layer of crud off the motor (post-purchase) I sent it out to Baxter Cycle here in the States and his guy repaired it right down to the proper graininess of the casting...you could not define the original area of damage it was so well done.

I dare say you must have folks of equivalent skill on your side of the Atl. if you are troubled by the insult.

Good luck!